Skip to content

Discuss This Bridgestone surprised by COTA front tyre issues MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Bridgestone surprised by COTA front tyre issues

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Bridgestone surprised by COTA front tyre issues

Bridgestone has admitted it did not expect to see such major front tyre issues during last Sunday’s Circuit of the Americas MotoGP clash in Texas. Several riders reported excessive wear on the right side of the medium compound front tyre at COTA, with factory Yamaha rider Valentino Rossi one of the worst hit. The Italian looked on course for a second successive...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 190 days ago (16 April 2014 13:21)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TheApexTwin

Feb 14

TheApexTwin says:

Fine to say the tyres were in no way faulty, but clearly their design wasn't up to the job. Maybe not surprising considering how little data Bridgestone had for COTA when these were produced. The margin for error on setup must have been significantly reduced by this given the notable failures.

Nostrodamus - you're banging the drum loudest for setup being the deciding factor in the tyre debate. I've never raced a bike or set one up for that purpose, so I'll pick your brain if I may. In your experience, could you purposely setup a bike to damage a tyre to the extent that Rossi's visibly was, and with such a bias toward one side?

Reply to this Topic
Firebird3

Nov 11

Firebird3 says:

Apex

Don't bother trying to get an unbiased opinion from Nostro. He has clearly got some hang up over Rossi and feels the need to put him down at any opportunity.    Of course, if the tyres had come off the Bucktooths bike (before he threw the towel in),  then he would clearly have another point of view.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

T.A.T

Obviously you're trying to set me up, but the short answer is of course you can! I don't pretend to have access to any team data as Qusaimoto does so can only talk general banalities on potential causes.

Excessive wear on one side of the tyre or the other will always be track specific related though - presuming wheel alignment is correct of course. That fast downhill turn two at Cota looks to me to be the main culprit. In the same way as the final couple of joined up lefts at Philip Island destroys rears.

As for how to root a tyre properly, numerous ways obviously. Certainly set-up with underinflation, wrong spring or damping rates, static weight distirbution. Riding style also has a big bearing on wear patterns. It's not for no reason they say smoothness stresses a tyre less. An even build up of heat in the braking process and the relatively seamless transistion from braking to cornering forces through the tyre to keep the tyre temperature consistent.

Perhaps in his eagerness to dominate the front and get this old feeling he used to have on the brakes back the Terrapin has somehow over done it?

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

The Terrapin peddling the Duke

Reply to this Topic
Judas13

Jan 14

Judas13 says:

Casey liked that one, Nostro

Reply to this Topic
TheApexTwin

Feb 14

TheApexTwin says:

Only a half-@rsed attempt to set you up, but well done on dodging anyway you cynical old b*****d.

Your answer was kind of what I thought. All the armchair analysis so far has been mainly on number, type and severity of turns at COTA, but not much accounting for elevation changes. I remember the teams talking about the difficulty of setting up the bike for the first left hander without compromising the bikes for the rest of the race.

Can't deny setup is important - if I got off my bike and saw a tyre like that (after sh!tting myself) I wouldn't just think 'well that's a dodgy tyre', I'd be looking seriously at what's up with the bike.

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

WOW!

Just back from Texas.What a venue and what a place!
Even got a lap on a scooter and even on that it was an eye opener.What a width was the most noticeable thing for me.
I will not comment on the race but Marquez is something else to see in real life.The guy is in another league and barring injury I cannot see how anyone will challenge him.
Regarding the tyre problem lets just say the word in the paddock is completely different to the worlds biggest Rossi hater!
Next one for me is Mugello....cant' wait.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Attaboy Buelli

Genuinely glad you enjoyed COTA, but I shall continue to mock your 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink, my undisclosed sources say....' assertions. Grow a pair, get an opinion and back it up!

For the umpteenth time. I don't hate the Terrapin - he's just an easy target and a conduit to wind bedwetters like you up!

That's it TAT. VR & SG should look at BS's tyre, machine set-up and telemetry and see where they went wrong.

Reply to this Topic
Firebird3

Nov 11

Firebird3 says:

Why can't you get it through your thick skulls...........if it was the first day of testing and the tyre was in that state, then you would say yes, the bike needs setting up better.  But those bikes were tested all weekend with no ill effects from the tyres, then suddenly on race day the tyres fck up.   

If nearer the end of race and the tyres seem to be 'going off'  and you need to back off a bit to finish the race, then that's fair enough. But if you have got to back off at the start of the race, in case the tyres don't last, then what's the point of racing.

Reply to this Topic
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

Consistency????

'bout time they opened it up to let other manufacturers supply tyres. Bridgestone are doing a poor job. There are two requirements for a Moto GP tyre, when everyone has to use the same. They have to last the distance and they have to be consistent, tyre to tyre. Bridgestone are not even close. Someone is going to get hurt or worse on their poor offerings.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices