Skip to content

Discuss This Bridgestone surprised by COTA front tyre issues MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Bridgestone surprised by COTA front tyre issues

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Bridgestone surprised by COTA front tyre issues

Bridgestone has admitted it did not expect to see such major front tyre issues during last Sunday’s Circuit of the Americas MotoGP clash in Texas. Several riders reported excessive wear on the right side of the medium compound front tyre at COTA, with factory Yamaha rider Valentino Rossi one of the worst hit. The Italian looked on course for a second successive...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 108 days ago (16 April 2014 13:21)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
pogo_it

Jul 05

pogo_it says:

Interesting that some are stating that Rossi, et al, front tyre issues at cota were due to poor set up, but that the front end crashes at quatar were due to circumstances beyond the riders control? Surely its one or the other? If the people who had front end crashes at quatar had used a different set up maybe they wouldn't have crashed, alternatively maybe the bridgestones aren't always what they should be

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

I think you'll find Pogo

The Qatari dew point issue is an external, somewhat random, variable that could / should be controlled via better scheduling. To draw comparisons between Losail & COTA is a very long bow indeed.

Reply to this Topic
ElDiabolico

Jul 13

ElDiabolico says:

there is no conspiraty theory...

only a bad batch of tires. The front tire should last all race, the rear tire should start to slide when not managed properly.

my question is: What will you say if the same happens in the next races to MM or DP? It will be a tire problem or the riders didn't managed their tires / bad setup?

And I am not referring to normal wear, I am talking about tires desintegrating after 8 laps...

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

I agree

El Diabolico that it is a tyre problem not a set-up problem. I strongly doubt that there is an individual tyre quality control problem though, and also disagree that it is necessarily mainly Bridgestone's fault.

The MSMA/HRC can be blamed for many things, but Dorna managed to stuff up the tyres without much help, mainly by following ill-informed and short term agendas. They continue to think what works in F1 will work in bike racing, hence attempts to bring in pit-stops at PI 2013, tyres that wear out etc . The current front was developed by Bridgestone at Dorna's request , perhaps partly from legitimate concerns regarding the cold tyre performance of the previous tyre. What has resulted IMO is a tyre that doesn't work with particular riding styles on some bikes in certain conditions.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

I agree

El Diabolico that it was a tyre problem not a set-up problem. I strongly doubt that there is an individual tyre quality control problem though, and also disagree that it is necessarily all Bridgestone's fault.

The MSMA/HRC can be blamed for many things, but Dorna imo managed to stuff up the tyres without much help, mainly in pursuit of ill-informed and short term agendas. They continue to think what works in F1 will work in bike racing, hence the control tyre in the first place, a desire to bring in pit-stops for which I believe PI 2013 was a (rather unsuccessful) stalking horse, tyres that wear out etc . The current front was developed by Bridgestone at Dorna's request, perhaps partly from legitimate concerns regarding the cold tyre performance of the previous tyre. What has resulted imo is a tyre that doesn't work with particular riding styles on some bikes, including Valentino's on the current Yamaha in certain conditions. 

Something similar happened to Ducati (and Suzuki and Kawasaki for that matter). Honda just re-design their bike, so such things only affect them transiently and mostly end up to their advantage. Having a limited range of tyres necessitating designing bikes to suit them rather than having a wider range of tyres to suit different designs and styles is a problem, not a solution. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Doohanfan

There was no complaints about the performance of the original new front developed by Bridgestone for the one litre machines. The tyre the factories developed their new litre class machines around in 2011 and started 2012 on. Riders in fact universally praised Bridgestone for the improved feel of this rubber.

The problem arose when Bridgestone introduced a second generation 2012 tyre with a more flexible carcass. Why when there were no complaints about the original rubber? The natural conclusion points to the woeful performancesof  the Terrapin and his lack of front end feel on the Ducati. The situation reeked of Uncle Carmelo meddling.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

My point about the tyres in general

Nostradamus is that they have mostly been about Uncle Carmelo meddling, perhaps sometimes from good motives but mostly not well informed ones. My personal conspiracy theory about the 2012 front would tend more towards disadvantaging a now retired rider than aiding a still current rider, but there is little point going there now. There was talk about cold tyre performance of the old tyre. I didn't see why both could not be kept, nor was it clear whether this was down to Bridgestone or Dorna.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

I'm not in disagreement with you there DF

First the late weight addition which brought copious amounts of chatter and then the squidgy front. Both of which were probably two birds with one stone from Carmelo.

The cold tyre performance was in relation the the 2010/2011 spec. Not the litre bike tyres on which the factories initally tested their new machines in 2011 /2012. They were as stated universally praised.

Reply to this Topic
pogo_it

Jul 05

pogo_it says:

Yet not everyone had a front end crash at quatar Nostro. Weird you would have thought it would have affected everyone the same if it wasn't down to set up, much like the extra few degrees at cota.

Reply to this Topic
ElDiabolico

Jul 13

ElDiabolico says:

get a life Nostrils...

and Doohanfan zou where writing nice things until zou got... obsessed again.

Carmelo didn|t sabotage nobody in favour of nobody. He wants to sell more spectacle having no f***g clue on how to do this. He wants to have a Moto2 without the Moto2 rules (monobrand). It's not working. Different bikes, different setups, different riders. Tires shouldn't been the deciding factor. Point.

Nostrils, search for some detox hotlines men... You used to piss me off, then you made me laugh, now... I feel pitty, you are really mental on Rossi. Everybody can see that on this board. Enough.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices