Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JDAC

Apr 14

JDAC says:

Panigale, Gixer or Daytona

Hi There,

I am 20 years old, as soon as i turn 21 I will be going for my full licence. 4 1 reason or another I am going to inherit enough money to buy the bike of my choosing.
I am planning to do alot of touring both in the UK and Europe. 

But which bike is best suited for me ? 

The Duc Panigale 899 is my true dream bike. But Is the jump from 125cc to 899cc just to much? How will it hold up touring across sum shitty roads?

The Suzuki Gixer 750cc, from what i have hurd/red is a proven great tourer. From what I understand It is also V easy to drive quickly. 

The Daytona is also a Beaut Bike. I love its looks and sound. But I wonder how the 675cc engine will hold up on the European motorways.

What do you guys think??
Bare in mind this will be my first big bike!

Would be great to get sum responses from owners of the bike above or even better owners that have toured on them!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 152 days ago (21 April 2014 16:41)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"4 1 reason or another I am going to inherit enough money to buy the bike of my choosing"

bumping off ya nan is illegal even if it is to buy a bike :wink:

First big bike...outta them 3 then i'd go for the Gixxer, less revy than the Daytona, more comfy and less edgie than the PantieGirlie....at your age ya can tour on anything tbh..

What ever ya choose, take it easy, ride safe and enjoy :smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Just one thing

21 ain't ya restricted for 2 years?..

19+ - A2 (restricted license) license allowing a full license up to 35kw/46.6bhp on any size bike (but no more than 0.2kw/Kg or derived from a vehicle more than double its power - 70Kw):unsure:

just a thought :huh:

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Firstly

..Congratulations on being a lucky git!!!   :tongue:

You may guess from my profile name that I will be favouring the GSXR750! However to back this up I am on my 2nd one and I can assure you that the bike is capable of EVERYTHING on your list and more:

Track days - AWESOME.. Done over 30 on 750's

European touring - AWESOME.. Mine's been to Italy, the Pyrenees, Luxembourg, The Nurburgring, Northern Ireland, lake district... and many more!

Commuting: -AWESOME.. Rain, snow or shine those motherfuckers start everytime and will filter at high-speed round the north-circular til the cows come home... Or til you get home from work anyway! :wink:

Servicing - AWESOME.. there are about 58 squillion GSXR's getting smashed up a day in crashes and so parts are EEEEAASSYYY to find.. e-bay/breakers whatever and everything on the bike is so accesible you'll be able to pick your nose while you do it!

I tell you young man.. My K1 750 lasted me 11 years and racked up 76,000 miles on nothing more than regular loving care and servicing.. you get out what you put in so look after it like it was Elvis Presleys boots that you found in a locker at the local pool!

Man fuck the Ducati unless you like the capuccino they serve in the dealerships cos you'll get to know the staff at every on of them in Europ on first name terms and yep... The 675 Is a great bike but what you gonna do when it breaks down in the south of France eh?????? Phone the UK and pay through the nose to get the parts sent... You'll have access to GSXR parts wherever you are in the world......................

Except maybe Kazakhstan... And the roads are shit there anyway so FUCK EM!!

GET A GIXXER AND BE A HAPPY MAN! Like me!!   :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

firstly

congrats on a help with life! nice to get help from ancestors yadda yadda.

of the bike you've mentioned i have some experience!

899 . beauiful beautiful machine! god i want one! but never EVER by a bike on its first production run, especially if its itailian. let the first mugs sort the problems out , buy 2nd hand in 3 years time (they will be cheap and sorted by then).

Daytona 675. man . love this bike! but if you want to tour? then get a street triple! even at 20 something years being able to walk after 200 miles is an advantage!

gixer 750 , got to say it ticks the boxes, old but gold!

they are all sports bikes though, if touring is the game and money isn't a problem then consider a TOURING bike. just saying! but at your age insurance is going to be the big issue! street triple wins hand down!

hang on that wasn't on your list was it?:blink:

trust me! street triple R :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Gixxer parts on eBay?

I thought most of those were hot (i.e. stolen)?  :upset:

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

"But Is the jump from 125cc to 899cc just to much?"

Yes.  Get a Honda CB500X or similar for touring and commuting.  Use the money you saved to buy and old 600cc super-sport for track days, if you feel the need to go fast.  You will be happier than trying to do both on one of the bikes you mentioned, and will cry much less when you crash a 10-year old bike you bought for £2000 than a new bike for £10,000+.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Step away

from the Gixxer and the Duke.

600cc is more than enough for motorway stints. If you are genuinely trying to exceed the talents of a Daytona on an autobahn, you'll be stopping for fuel very often. You'll also fatige very quickly and make potentially lethal silly mistakes.

You'll probably struggle to find insurance on anything sporty over 600cc - and the premium will be silly if you do find it. Fair enough if you have the cash, but why pay more to insure a bike whose potential you're unlikely to tap into until you're much more experienced (and/or on a track)

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Sorry to piss on ya parade....But..

Age 19-20 - 47 bhp max: the A2 licence. This is where the rules become slightly complex. From the age of 19, you are permitted to take an A2 test (which must be taken on a bike of at least 395cc, with a power output of between 25kW/33bhp and 35kW/47bhp). If you don't already hold an A1 licence you will need to do a CBT beforehand, as always, and pass a theory test, before you take the practical test.

Upon passing, the rider is restricted to bikes with a limit of 35kW/47bhp and a power-to-weight ratio of no more than 0.2kW/0.26bhp per kg, for two years. The power-to-weight ratio is an important qualification because it makes drawing a distinction between 'can ride' and 'can't ride' more nuanced than a simple bhp cap. In real terms, it imposes a minimum weight of 175kg for any bike using the full 47bhp, dashing hopes of super-lightweight 250s making a mockery of the bhp limit. 

It's relatively straightforward to restrict a bike, meaning you are not necessarily ruled out of riding the bike of your dreams - unless you are dreaming of anything 'more than twice' as powerful. Any bike originally making more than 94bhp is still out of reach of the A2 licence.

You will need to hold the A2 licence for two years before you can move on to a full A licence.

And..

Age 21-23 - you must be 21 to hold a full, unrestricted A licence. However, at this age you can only take the test if you have held an A2 licence for two years or more. It is important to note that unlike the current system, you are not automatically upgraded to an A licence without a further test. If you started riding after 19, and are not yet 24, you will be restricted to A2 for two years regardless :upset:

God bless the illegal state that is the European Union :mad::mad::mad:

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Don't listen to this bunch of Pussies

if you really want to do Hard Core touring then, buy a Busa or ZZR1400............:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Hard Core Touring™

Buy a Triumph Rocket III Touring and have Carpenter Racing rebuild the engine for 240+ HP at the rear wheel on pump gas/petrol.  :laugh:

http://www.carpenterracing.com/images/Rocket_graphROSS.jpg

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices