Skip to content

Discuss This Schwantz: Marquez has got inside Lorenzo’s head MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Schwantz: Marquez has got inside Lorenzo’s head

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Schwantz: Marquez has got inside Lorenzo’s head

Kevin Schwantz believes Jorge Lorenzo’s nightmare start to 2014 is a direct result of the breathtaking performances from Spanish rival and reigning world champion Marc Marquez. Repsol Honda rider Marquez heads to the third race in Argentina this weekend undefeated after brilliant victories in Qatar and Austin. In stark contrast, Factory Yamaha rider Lorenzo has endured a forgettable start and already trails...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 101 days ago (22 April 2014 12:42)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Druids

Sep 10

Druids says:

What a load of crap

If you analyze properly the situation, Lorenzo was in trouble even before the season started. As terrific as Marquez can be he hasn't a lot to do with Lorenzo complaining all winter tests long instead of adapting to the new tyres. It's a terrible approach at this level and in hindsight his 1st lap crash should've come as a no surprise.

As for CoTA, unless Lorenzo thought he had the pace to beat the Repsol boys, something he obviously didn't believe in, I don't see why Marquez was responsible for Lorenzo's jump start. On paper Lorenzo's biggest rival for this race was Valentino Rossi for the 3rd place. Pedrosa and Marquez being untouchable.

It all started from the Sepang tests when Lorenzo behaved immaturely for weeks and completely lost focus.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

I agree Druids

It is his attitude to, or inability to adapt to, the new tyre which is messing with his head, although MM on the current Honda is obviously pretty hard to beat  as Schwartz has said. Mick Doohan looked similarly invincible further into the 1992 season though; hopefully the current Honda is a little more tractable than the 1992 Honda 500.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SundayRoast

Oct 11

SundayRoast says:

Factor

Whilst Marquez is a factor, there is much more going on in Lorenzos head about the Yamaha, and its performance on the new tyres.

There is no confidence there and coming out with comments about "roughing Marquez up" is great if you are fully confident with your bikes front end and more to the point, whether you can damn well catch him.

For sure this is going to be a very rough season for Lorenzo and contract talk (including team changes to Honda), will not make his task any easier.

Reply to this Topic
gwcrim

Nov 13

gwcrim says:

Marky Marq got into everyone's head last year.  The new kid on the block kicked arse and took names.  J-Lo tested horribly with the new tires and knew he was in a bad, bad position.  When the season opened he completely screwed the pooch.  Why?  Not because he was concerned about VR or Pedro!  It's that dang new kid on the block who can do no wrong.  (Except count laps.)

Schwantz was just chatting with an interviewer.  No need to over analyze.

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

i dont agree totaly

with schwantz.

because in 2013 Jorge at first did easy riding and thought he could easy win the 2013 title. but after Jerez Jorge said i need to go back to my 250cc style, he did and won the most races even he was double injured.

In 2014 at qatar he couldn't get the grip with the new BS tyres. he improved every lap and even in warmup. he had the same pace as VR and MM but made a mistake and pay'd the price. So you would think it was the BS tyres that got in his head. If you forget what Jorge said about muscito's, you hear him say when the light turn red he released the clutch. So i don't think MM is in hi's head, Jorge is more than capable of fighting MM. lets see the next races how he stands up. its pretty soon draw conclusions. VR almost beat MM in qatar so......

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

Sure

MM is fantastic, but Jorge had no problem taking the fight to him till the bitter end last year with a bike designed around him and tyres which suited him. He must have thought the motogp world was his oyster at the end of 2012 and for some time into 2013. Now Honda don't really need him and he is no longer definitely Yamaha's long term number 1 rider after his previous flirtation with Honda.

Things can turn so rapidly in this business viz Stoner at Ducati in 2009 only 18 months after his title, or more stunningly Rossi at Yamaha in 2010. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
gwcrim

Nov 13

gwcrim says:

You say what?

"VR almost beat MM in qatar so......"

I must have been watching a different race.  VR ran a great race but "almost" beating MM?  I think not.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

F00kin' 'ell

Remarkable almost unanimous consensus on a thread.

Only a damn fool would not be worried about the perfomances of MM with Kevin merely stating the obvious with much of his comments here. That said Zeelenberg is going to know Lorenzo a damn sight better than Schwantz, and if Wilco says Lorenzo is rock hard upstairs then there's no reason not to believe so. Lorenzo's 2014 problems are well documented,  and as has been stated amount far more to 2014 M1 chassis, electoronics and 2014 rear rubber than anything else. Give him a platform he can trust and JL will be cock-a-hoop. Although not quite as much as Assen practice 2013!

Good luck to the man who tries to rough MM up on track too. That's a game with the odds stacked against you. Particularly if your name is Dani Pedrosa.

Reply to this Topic
karf46

Apr 14

karf46 says:

have you not read lorenzo's bio

he watches underdog films like rocky and listens to underdog songs and does martial arts to try and keep him real.... marquez probably watches his rivals mistakes in a fit of laughter

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Like most people on here I think Schwantz is bang on. 

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices