Skip to content

Discuss This The Kings of Cool General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > The Kings of Cool

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN Staff  says:

The Kings of Cool

BMW has hit the retro nail on the head with its R NineT. It's had rave reviews and the first batch to leave the factory has already sold out - globally. But how does the new bike compare to the best homegrown cafe racer-inspired rivals? We take the Royal Enfield Continental GT, Triumph's Thruxton, the Norton Commando 961 out with...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 150 days ago (22 April 2014 17:29)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
buckr

Jan 09

buckr says:

BMW v rest

Not seen the article. Read anything on twatter or have any idea what has been written or said BUT - Whats the betting MCN and BMW means the bike will be brilliant, fantastic and better than any of the opposition.

Recent articles about BMW's were written in a certain Bavarian office from the looks of them.

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

BMW are in it to win it

BMW are in it to win it, not just a little bit, but the whole thing, you know something, i think they will win and give us the best bikes.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

PR Note

I have yet to read anything positive about this bike, except for BMW's own press releases, which oddly sounds very similar to the above.  

Reply to this Topic
truantray

Jan 14

truantray says:

not at that price

The problem is thet for people who really want retro, it is much, much, cheaper and cooler to commission a real custom bike. Even a retro BMW.

I don't really need to read a comparison between an Enfield and the R9T , just as I don't need to read a comparison between French cuisine and McDonald's Happy meal. Let's just compare walnuts and duck eggs.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

No

Guzzi V7 Racer 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

putting a 1930's engine into a modern chassis

with all the bells and whistles............. probably helps. Hesketh....?

Reply to this Topic
geoffb61

Sep 08

geoffb61 says:

Triton

Sounds like a real opportunity to make 'modern' Triton - by putting th Comando engine in the Thruxton chassis.

Of course also a real opportunity to balls it up and make a No-umph!  :-)

As for the Beemer - leaves me a little cold and is nowhere near the same as the other bikes in this test.

Reply to this Topic
SundayRoast

Oct 11

SundayRoast says:

Footpegs

Having ridden a 9T it is almost impossible to put your feed down without the fixed pegs sticking into your calves over the top of your boots.

As such you have to either put your legs forward of back of the pegs and cannot actually hold it steady off the brakes. Paddling the bike you can forget if you still want shins. Awful.

Outside of that, it goes well if a little overated, overpriced and under finished.

Reply to this Topic
Enfieldgt

Apr 14

Enfieldgt says:

Fun

I have the enfield and I had quite a few issues with it to start with so there is still the questionable reliability associated with the price

the article is right it's great fun to ride and I day to say ride a hayabusa so don't find the lack of power an issue on the enfield but it does put a smile in my face.  I have the Harris clip ons so it has a much better look than the stock model

all that said in hindsight I think the triumph is the better buy as if does it all and is better made and not really that much more in the scheme of things.  My next stock racer will be the thrust on for sure and will leave the enfield brand as they simply agent built well enough.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices