You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Oil measure

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MCTony

Mar 14

MCTony says:

Oil measure

Hi, I have just gotten back on a MC, as the last time I was on one was back in 1978!  I have just bought a Kawasaki GPZ500S.  Its a 2002 reg.  I have no idea on the workings of it yet as I only bought it last Friday.  And my first drive on it was to drive it back home and that was a 30 mile journey.  I thought I should have been wearing bicycle clips to hold my waste :wink:!  I managed it and eventually enjoyed the ride.  My wife came with me and whilst we were discussing the price etc I called my wife another name!  Oops!  But that shows how nervous I was and I took the wrong turning out of Grantham!  Anyway, back at the ranch, I am wondering how I should check the oil level of this Kawasaki.  I see on the right of the engine the plug where oil is put and the viewing window below.  There is a line at the bottom of the round viewing window and I see oil.  That oil is just showing.  Where is the oil level suppose to be?  And what is the best way to ensure I get the correct level?

Thanks for reading, hope you can assist

Tony

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 129 days ago (23 April 2014 11:28)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

level

Welcome MCTony, we still ride (not drive) bikes today like we did in the 70`s.:tongue:

On level ground use the centre stand if fitted or pull the bike towards you off the side stand with the front brake on and watch the oil appear half way up the glass (plastic) when the bike is upright. Usually there`s two lines minimum and maximum so it`s still half way up.

Reply to this Topic
letterpigeon

Feb 14

letterpigeon says:

Oil!

Always remember to warm the bike up first! Leave it on tick over for fifteen minutes or so. Then aim for above the min line. 

Personally I'd give the oil a change as you've just got the bike (unless you know it was recently changed).

Reply to this Topic
MCTony

Mar 14

MCTony says:

Thanks guys.  Will I have ensured now that the oil is fine.  I phone the previous owner and her told me when the oil was changed.  So thanks and I will be 'Riding' my MC for somewhile and enjoying every minute. 

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Oil check

Check the oil when the engine is cold. Do not check it when hot.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi

eatcs01 is correct, oil levels in all engines should be done when cold.

Oil level is normally to the upper line of the viewing window.

Remember that the oil is also a cooling agent as well as the means of lubrication. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cold

Yeh forgot to say the engine should not be running and cold, but you should know that from the 70`s.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

OIl level

Except dry sump engines...

But that doesn't apply here :lol: :lol:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Oil level

but even dry sump engines need to have the oil tank level checked and that too has to be done cold. (Emoticon with tongue out and cheeky grin) wrong browser.

Reply to this Topic
MCTony

Mar 14

MCTony says:

I know

Thanks for the extras, I know when to check the oil.  It was just getting to grips with how the engine is configurated.  I have to strip it soon to clean it all up and do some touch up paint work

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices