Skip to content

Discuss This Don’t fall for copycat charges General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Don’t fall for copycat charges

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Tony Hoare  says:

Don’t fall for copycat charges

Riders are being warned they could be paying over the odds when using the internet to carry out essential tasks like applying for a tax disc, declaring a bike as SORN or replacing their driving licence. Websites that bear a strong similarity to the official Government’s official gov.uk site are in operation and they take a payment for services that would...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 145 days ago (25 April 2014 14:53)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

OK

let's be assured our money goes to the right scammers :wink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

The "official" department dont give a toss

I work as a Driving Instructor and I keep reminding all my pupils that when they book a theory or driving test the address MUST have a .gov in it but they still go to wrong sites and get ripped off . I raised this issue with the DSA or DVSA what ever they call them selfs these days , and a short reply stated they add a reminder with new licences .But IF the DSA was losing money I bet a million quid something would be done .Funny , in all driving test centres theres posters stating that copying government materal for use in training for theory is against the law and yet illegal driving instructors can turn up at the test centre and nothing is done ( because the dsa has had its £62 test fee so they`re not losing anything ) even though its well known the instructor is unlicenced .

Reply to this Topic
wwdph02

Aug 02

wwdph02 says:

Free NHS E111 travel

It's also free on NHS pages for the E111 travel card for europe health cover within EU - very easy to make the mistake and get a payment request copycat link, carry this with you for any trip in EU accident and health aid. Make sure it is 'on the person' and not in your hotel etc to get the correct assistance for free.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Nice copycat article

Didn't VisorDown run this last month? 

Reply to this Topic
kwackanacki

Nov 09

kwackanacki says:

TAX

Fell for this when trying to tax the bike quick, not happy so contacted them and gave called them a pig to a dog!

They refunded me the charge - bike was £45 tax their charges were £40 to do it WHAT A COMPLETE SCAM

Come on DVLA sort it out!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Surely if you follow the info on your reminder letter, there should be no problem. Is this a case of people hoping to get a cheaper deal elsewhere and then getting stung?

Reply to this Topic
Cota

Apr 14

Cota says:

Licence

I got caught with this applying for a replacement licence, all seemed cool untill i checked my bank acc. £48 !! for a £20 replacement, phoned DVLA and all they could say was .....tough luck pal your one of hundreds......... So check before you buy.

Reply to this Topic
oldmanA

Jul 12

oldmanA says:

Fleecing Britian

Come on you don't really think the government are going to do anything about this! They are far too busy fleecing their expenses and these sites are probably run by thier mates. You know the ones, cash in the back pocket. 

Reply to this Topic

Aug 02

1100970 says:

Read Bedtime Story

Goodness alive dont people understand what they are doing when they pay online for whatever, if they dont then they should throw the router in the bin.

Next MCN you will be telling bed time stories, grow up and go to the Univerity of Life you know it makes sense.

Andy

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices