Skip to content

Discuss This Marc Marquez can be greatest ever, says Schwantz MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Marc Marquez can be greatest ever, says Schwantz

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Marc Marquez can be greatest ever, says Schwantz

Marc Marquez can become the greatest and most successful rider in MotoGP history, according to Texan legend Kevin Schwantz.The Spaniard remains undefeated in four races in 2014 after another resounding triumph in Jerez last weekend.The 21-year-old is already a triple world champion in three different classes and his first Grand Prix win in Jerez was the 36th of his career...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 136 days ago (07 May 2014 09:39)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Judas13

Jan 14

Judas13 says:

Indeed Trumpet

Sounds like Nostro might have done a little bed wetting of his own.

He's obviously great, but I'm sure the other three will get their chance to beat him in the next three or four races.

Reply to this Topic
PaulSquare

Jul 09

PaulSquare says:

The biggest problem I see for Marquez is what Dorna will do with the series in the coming years. Ago, KR, Doohan, and Rossi had the benefit of stable technology during the prime. Yes, Rossi was around during the switch from 2 to 4 stroke - but look at how much Dorna is messing with the formula now.

Between electronics (factory developed to spec), tires, fuel limits - I hope Dorna doesn't rob us of potential greatness by neutering the factories a little too much in any given year.

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

Risk

I'm not sure I agree SR. The Scary thing about MM seems to me that he is riding within himself, he's just that fast. Since his step up to Motogp he seems a far more mature rider than the boy that left Moto2. I was very concerned about the Saftey of MM and the riders around him when he was making the stepup but to me he has matured as a rider far faster than seemingly old hands like Bautista or Crutchlow

Reply to this Topic
gwcrim

Nov 13

gwcrim says:

I'd just LOVE to see them all on spec bikes.  Let the cream rise to the top.

Reply to this Topic
Feckit

Jan 13

Feckit says:

Doubters

Okay, I've been a Rossi fan, like many others since his first 125 race - genius, still a fan of his. MM however is another level up. Different animal altogether, sharper, faster, yes more dangerous looking but it's the way he's been riding for years. He's just brought the same skill to MOTOGP. If there are any doubters out there wondering just how good MM can be, go back and have a look at the last MOTO2 race of the season 2012 in Valencia when MM started from the back of the grid.  I won't say too much but it was one of the best races I have ever seen. Watch it and you will be in no doubt of MM's skill, ability and focus. I knew when I saw that race he'd stir it up in MOTOGP. As others have mentioned my concern would be that he would do himself in at some point riding so hard all of the time, but he is THE MAN with an extra set, a new set of skills the others just don't have and they will have to change up a couple of gears if they want to be in the same race as him. 

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Marquez defined where the line was last year

by stepping across it what, 15 times? And how many times has he jumped off the thing in pre-season and racing this year? Is it zero?

That's the scary thing about Marquez this year for the competition. He now knows the limit and is riding with margin in hand as well as still learning. If the others want to compete with him, they need to whittle away at their own already razor thin margins, if that is at all possible.

It's highly unlikely he'll win all the races this year by it really is hard to see anyone of the current crop staying with him in future. As much as DP & JL are trying to up their own games.

The records broken already shows he's better than any that have gone before. Ago simply doesn't count because of the non factory supported era he rode in mainly. Doohan took years to dominate (admittedly through initally inferior kit and top draw competiton). Rossi had weak oppostion, the Michelin man, his own egotistical demanding ways and his dodgy uncle Carmelo in his corner. Stoner burnt out rather than faded away.

The world of MotoGP is Marc's oyster if he wants it.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Feckit

Jan 13

Feckit says:

No, Nostro, No!

Most of what you have written below is fair and I agrre with it but, I'll have to take you to task a little on a couple of your comments.

VR's competition: To name a few of them, and they are / were on the top of their game at the time, Capirossi, Biaggi, Lorenzo, Hayden, Pedrosa, Stoner, Melandri, Checa, in the more recent years, Gibernou (the feckwit) earlier on, Kenny Roberts, so to say he had weak competition is not right.

Also, I watched it as it happened in front of me, MM at Silverstone last year come off big style and his bike slammed into Cal Crutchlow's bike whilst the marshalls ran off with Cal to safety. I can think of a few more occasions of his highsides etc, but you are right, it's not often- he is a special kid. As Julian Ryder said reading out somebody's tweet during the race, if the others are The Aliens he is The Predator!

Reply to this Topic
aintnothin

Apr 12

aintnothin says:

What a retarded

comment.

How could MM ever match Agostini's record?  The variety of machinery, classes, venues?  You think MM would every ride ride the Isle of Man (not that anybody sane should)?

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

Ssssssscccchhhhhh

wantz says he can be the greatest ever, of course he can but he might fall off his moto crosser or whatever. Lets not tempt fate. Lets hope he does become the greatest ever but bloody hell there are some yard sticks to measure up to. In my book a champion is a champion, Alan Wells won a gold medal at the 1980's olympics and you can never take that away from him just like Schwantz.

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

Or indeed aintnothin

Freddie spencers 1985 double. That took some balls.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices