Skip to content

Discuss This Can the new Africa Twin steal the GS' crown? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Can the new Africa Twin steal the GS' crown?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

Can the new Africa Twin steal the GS' crown?

Honda is just months away from launching an all-new Africa Twin boasting a 1000cc parallel-twin, and serious off-road potential. But can it really take on the market-dominating BMW R1200GS?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 133 days ago (07 May 2014 14:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Could be a game changer

All of those R1200GS riders who "seriously off road" might both buy it.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

How to beat the GS

make a bike that is way cooler with similar power specs and some of the features of the GS at at least US$4000 to 5000 less, then you got a hit on your hands. otherwise it's a no go! 

if the price is the same as the GS, or even higher, the bikes will not move, case in point Yamaha Super Tenere.

Lexus used to beat the Germans in the US, because they had comparable luxury cars at $20K cheaper pricing.  Of course those days are gone, as Lexus is not what it used to be.

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

KTM already have a bike

with "serious" offroad potential, but still can't compete with BMW, so I'm not sure if Honda will fare any better.

Anyone who's done a BMW offroad skills course knows just how serious a GS can be, so it's frankly not down to a bike's ability, probably more to do with risking £12,000 to £15,000 of one's own money that determines whether an owner will take their BMW offroad.

The KTM 1190 is better offroad than the BMW, no doubt about it, but once you spec one up to similar levelsa, there's nót a huge difference in outlay. In that respect, the Honda Africa Twin will have to be pretty good to match either bike's abilities, then a few grand cheaper to draw in sales.

I had an original Africa Twin back in 1992, and it was surprisingly good offroad, within reason. I took it over the Grampians with my wife on the back, all offroad, so I know from experience what it could do. It was not, however, a great road bike. Good enough for touring, but otherwise just adequate, so I hope that the new one can go one better, and produce a bike that can do both.

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

Twin

Being a previous owner of the first Africa Twin myself, there is a huge loyal following of the bike. For all its Dakar posturing and off road pretencies (really, you going to take one of those properly off road?) it is a stunningly capable bike, if a little wheezy up top. All Honda have to do is not throw all that away for the sake of what's "on trend" this year and not try and compete head on with the GS. Oh, and can they price it so all us non football club owners can afford it please?

Reply to this Topic
munsey8

May 14

munsey8 says:

The GS shouldn't have the crown..

Of course it can, the GS doesn't deserve the adventure crown anyway !! KTM are the kings and a new Africa Twin is certainly going to be interesting.

It's sad that the GS is primarily ridden by fair weather riding old men at the weekend  or city workers as a commuter. An absolute waste and the only reason it's so popular is because of Charlie and Ewan. KTM must still be kicking themselves over that.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
plumbgod

Jan 14

plumbgod says:

Yeah KTM really dropped a bol***k with that one 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN