You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > arthritus

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bigdavy

Apr 07

bigdavy says:

arthritus

Help, I am 67, been riding since I was 16, arthritis is kicking in and I am struggling with clutch control in traffic. Any ideas of light/hydraulic clutches of a not too heavy touring bike for me and the missus (knees) around 100hp??  Current bike is a 2007 Kawasaki Z750s which I love and ride most of the year.   Dave

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 107 days ago (08 May 2014 09:55)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Arthritis

I sympathise with you.  In my case it's my knees as a result of playing Rugby for many years.

The clutch lever on my 1200RT has a light action but I suspect that this probably isn't your sort of bike if you are riding a Z750.  

Have you considered looking to the after-market for a different clutch lever?  I am sure that you should be able to get a longer lever which will reduce the effort required to operate it.  (Also, keeping your hands warm will make a huge difference)

Good luck with finding a solution. 

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Davy

Definitely try BMW Sunderland and the DCT Honda's in Newcastle before a Minchella's ice cream or Smith's chippy chips!  Guess where I live?  Really the only way to find a bike that suits YOU is to ignore the specs and ride as wide a variety as possible.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Depending on severity

you might look a NABD - national association of bikers with a disability. There may be an option to lighten the clutch of your current bike.

I know Kawasaki do have servo assisted clutches on one of their models - they may do it on others.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices