You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Suzuki GSF 600 Running Rich

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Timmy2323

May 14

Timmy2323 says:

Suzuki GSF 600 Running Rich

I have a 1999 Suzuki GSF 600 and i took the carbs off the other day to clean the starter plungers as they were a bit sticky, when i put it all back together i took it for a ride. it started off ok but then it started to struggle and then cut out and wouldn't fire up again, as if it was slowly flooding itself. i left the bike a few hours came back to it and it started fine again, took it for another ride and it did the same thing. I took the spark plugs out and they were black, i also adjusted the mixture screw under each carb to 2 turns. Please could anyone help? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 114 days ago (10 May 2014 10:23)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit 1999

Hi Timmy2323 and welcome to the site:smile

Sorry to say mate but it sounds a bit obvious if you have stripped the carbs removed the choke jet plungers and now it's chokes on all the time then you have done something wrong in the rebuild. Are you sure it wasn't just the choke cable which are renowned for seizing up especial if they have been oiled?. Check the choke cable isn't too tight holding the chokes open.(why did you remove the carbs in the first place, what was the original problem?)  Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Timmy2323

May 14

Timmy2323 says:

Carbs

Hey thanks for the reply, the original fault was that id put the choke off but the plungers wouldn't move i had to reach below and push the bracket across so all the plungers closed, i thought they where sticking. I have tried running it with all the plungers closed and it still seems to be flooding. Oh and when i put the carbs back together i didn't put them back in their original positions. say they where in order 1234 i put them back in 2431. Would that have made a difference?? 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

carbs

Did the bike run ok after you pushed the bracket to close the chokes/starter jets and before removing the carbs?

Some 4 cyl engines with 4 carbs have bigger jets in the middle 2, you may be lucky on your model.

Over to kcmc when you ANSWER the questions.   

Reply to this Topic
Timmy2323

May 14

Timmy2323 says:

Carbs

Yea the bike ran ok when i pushed the bracket in. I choke cable seemed to operate ok as well, not sticking or anything. 

Iv got the carbs apart again now, is there any adjustment you need to do on the pilot jets??  iv set the pilot screws to 2 turns, the pilot jets look like flat head bolts, didn't know wether there was any adjustment on them?? thanks

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices