Skip to content

Ask an Expert 2005 suzuki bandit 650 smoke coming from engine Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > 2005 suzuki bandit 650 smoke coming from engine

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

rickiebrown

May 14

rickiebrown says:

2005 suzuki bandit 650 smoke coming from engine

Ok, I was hoping one of you veterans could help me with this. I'm a fairly new rider, and I don't have much experience with bikes.  

I recently installed a delkevic 350mm can and link pipe as my original link pipe had corroded. I used holtz firegum and clamps to install it. 

I waited over 24 hours for the sealant to settle. Started the bike up to check to make sure the exhaust wasn't blowing anywhere it shouldn't and all seemed perfect. Can sounded great. 

I rode round to see my friend and as I got off the bike there was smoke coming from the engine, not from the exhaust. It looked a bit blue but I couldn't completely tell.

I looked and noticed that there was next to no oil in the bike. I always check my oil but didn't this time. I topped the oil up and all seemed ok, but it smoked again, however this time not as much even though I revved the bike up some more.

I've been told so many things,  but I just don't know where to begin. I was kind of hoping one of you guys might have a clue what this could be. Ive been told I might need to change the valve seals, or oil could have entered a cylinder. I'm lost.

Thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 78 days ago (15 May 2014 13:07)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSF 650 Bandit 2005

Hi RickieBrown and welcome to the site:smile

Your bike is the 650cc inbetweenie before they went water cooled.I would suggest that for some reason you were mistaken and in fact your engine was already low on oil as this is the main means for this air oil cooled engine to cool itself.The reason you seen blue oil smoke coming from the engine(probably out of the air box via the crankcase breather)is because it was overheating due to the lack of oil running through the system via the oil cooler radiator.You will need a full oil change and filter now you have cooked what was left. Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
rickiebrown

May 14

rickiebrown says:

thanks kcmc

Thanks for the info kcmc. Im going to order a new oil filter and drain the current oil when I go to fit it, and change the oil. Thanks for the info. Ive just been so worried about the possibility of oil escaping into the cylinder.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

rickiebrown

Hi, further to what KCMC has already said which I agree with, I would recommend that you do a second oil and filter change after running the engine.

The reason for my comment is that has there is a likelihood that you will have pushed the engine temperature parameter too high. Any carbon deposits which had formed previously will have therefore dried and flaked off.

The first oil change and filter will give the engine oilways a flush and should be retain any carbon debris. I would then do a further oil and filter change at 500 miles.

Hope all is well and good luck.

Reply to this Topic
rickiebrown

May 14

rickiebrown says:

thanks smidget

Thanks smidget, I will try that, I've ordered a new oil filter, air filter, and plugs, I'm going to give it a quick service. I am going to do as you advised also. I have been testing the bike out and have discovered that it only smokes when left at idle. If I pull up at lights I have to be there for at least 30 seconds for it to begin smoking and the same goes for when I pull up at home. I know the smoke is coming from somewhere between the oil filter and above the collector box, it's definitely somewhere there.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices