Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow happy with bigger brake disc move MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow happy with bigger brake disc move

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow happy with bigger brake disc move

Cal Crutchlow has supported a move to give all MotoGP riders the option of running bigger brake discs from next weekend’s Italian round in Mugello onwards.The Grand Prix Commission announced yesterday that a 340mm front brake disc will now be available after coming under pressure from several riders in the Safety Commission that the current 320mm disc was struggling to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 67 days ago (23 May 2014 11:15)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Dave

I agree with Bob on the brake issue, bigger brakes mean less effort to stop. ------------------------------- Bigger brakes require less effort on the fingers but more effort on the rider as a whole. Bigger brakes=stop in less distance. Stopping the same mass in less of a distance creates greater forces so it's far from 'easier' bud, the forces are compounded further. As for the Duke needing bigger brakes........braking slows you down, hardly something that Ducati needs atm.

Reply to this Topic
davefinnerty

Sep 13

davefinnerty says:

Pacey

I get that Pacey however as far I understand it will reduce the physical effort because I dont think bigger discs alone will reduce stopping distance or put more physical strain on the rider as currently they can barley keep the rear wheel on the tarmac.

Reply to this Topic
hurdyfurdy

Jul 12

hurdyfurdy says:

I'm not sure......

I don't think Crutchlow knows what he wants. He said last year If I had X y  and Z I could win.  Eg the different seat and tank combo.  Once he got it he didn't want it.  As others have said there will be a trade off. Probably slower turn in.  He still won't beat his team mate.  And anyone who says but Dovi has already had year more on the Duke needs to look at MM last year or Redding or Pol E this year to see how fast need to get to grips with your new bike to succeed at this level. Too many excuses from CC.  Motogp career nearly over. Never won one.  Never gonna win one.  

Reply to this Topic
ElDiabolico

Jul 13

ElDiabolico says:

Thanks Pacey

cause our retarded friend (Bobby) cannot differenciate the correlation between a moving mass, deceleration and the rider having to physicaly cope with those negative Gs.

As you clearly stated, the bike will stop easier with less force on the lever but the stopping distances will be further reduced therefore more violent deceleration.

Dani commented on the same issue when switching from 800 to 990, he said (repeating myself) "This bike is physically more demanding [than the 800], you feel the power in the acceleration, the speed under hard braking and also the extra weight"

On the other side, we cannot expect much from a unicell organism that anytime that he is stopped by the police and being asked to blow for an alcotest falls on his knees...

Common spongy, keep amusing us with your copy paste from wiki... or you want to convince anybody in this forum that you actually knew what F=ma equation is??? HAHAHAHAHAH! LOOOOOOOSER!

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

El Dipshitio, there is a general correlation in nature that is used by other clever blokes to explain the relative effect of gravity (a common source of the 'a' in our favorite equation) on nature's beings to dumb fks just like you. It's called the mouse to elephant curve, look it up, you might learn something about strength relative to size. I don't know if it can be applied to short fat little fks but give it a go, you might fit in there somewhere.

Now, you're saying cause Dani is the only rider to mention it, he must be the only one affected? Clever bloke.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

You've gotta laugh

Reading some of these comments makes me remember to never under estimate peoples ability for both stupidity and blind arrogance.

Bigger brake discs make braking worse. Beautiful. I'm off out now to upgrade my bike with smaller discs!

Reply to this Topic
TheApexTwin

Feb 14

TheApexTwin says:

What astounds me is how confused some of the stuff that's being posted on this thread is becoming.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

Brake discs

Has anyone got any 340 mm discs to fit a mille, ?? I'll test the theory 

Reply to this Topic
73mach3

Oct 12

73mach3 says:

if the bike can stop

what will CC excuses be then?

Reply to this Topic
hurdyfurdy

Jul 12

hurdyfurdy says:

maybe......

they should try linked brakes. They're great on my Blackbird. One finger braking from 70mph is easy. Bike just sits down.  Two fingers from 170 work just as well. I've always believe if you need more than two fingers you're in trouble.  Oh Matron! 

Since they're going slightly faster than me then maybe not. 

Honda don't want bigger brake discs only because they don't need them for most races as they have two lightweights onboard. It gave them a small advantage.  

Yeah,  new excuse soon required for CC.  I see on another site he says bike not going well (shock gasp who would have guessed) but not his fault. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices