Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati: Essential to keep Andrea Dovizioso in 2015 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati: Essential to keep Andrea Dovizioso in 2015

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati: Essential to keep Andrea Dovizioso in 2015

Ducati boss Gigi Dall’Igna reckons it is essential to keep Andrea Dovizioso on a Desmosedici machine in 2015. The Bologna factory is facing stiff competition from Suzuki for the experienced Italian’s signature. Suzuki is eager to get the former 125GP world champion to lead its premier class return next year and his departure would be a hammer blow to Ducati’s bid to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 51 days ago (05 June 2014 10:47)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

It's an evidence-based, negative feeling influenced by past and present events - like not being wanted by Yamaha, not being wanted by Honda, being used as a stop-gap rider at Ducati...

Dovi had his chance at Honda and blew it. Safe and steady. A development rider, but never a championship winner. Ducati know this, that's why they've been chasing Lorenzo. Honda new it too, that's why they dropped him for Stoner. Dovi never got the chance to be Bradley's team-mate. He was replaced by Bradley, so even Herve knew he was flogging an dead donkey.

Inferiority complex - the sort of thing you get when you realise that you are in fact inferior.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

CH...a letter away from being brethren..

..you talk a lot of sense too. Your appraisal of Andrew's career is spot on and is more in tune with reality than many of the fan boy's that like to post...

You obviously have a deep understanding of the class and racing in general and recognise where Andrew sits within the fabric and thought processes of many of the teams..

"Safe and steady"...no chance of a championship, but will bring the bike home because he doesn't push hard enough to crash. It's a good job for Andrew - a great lifestyle, whereas it's about pure unadultarated passion for the real champions..

Excellent post CH.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
TheApexTwin

Feb 14

TheApexTwin says:

Suzuki

Reading the reports of Suzuki testing at PI worries me a bit about how they're planning their return. Cr@p weather, both riders falling - de Puniet reportedly fell avoiding a goose! Why test there at this time of year?!

From a development point of view they need to build a bike quickly enough to attract some quality talent out of contract for 2015, so they're testing Bridgestones and a factory ECU which they can only keep for a year. If it wasn't for the contract timing, they'd probably be better off continuing to test in 2015 using whatever Michelin are developing and the control ECU for a 2016 return. But then who would they sign to ride it? Horns of a dilemma...

Reply to this Topic
luckofthewelsh

Oct 13

Thanks CHR!

You seem like a nice guy too. Back to the original debate, by your logic though Iannone is still doing better than Cal, he has outqualified all of his team mates, and got his Ducati onto the front row (the highest qualifying since stoner in 2010? If i heard right). I understand what you are saying about Cal, but based on this year alone Iannone is clearly more at home on the Ducati. And you may be right, if you give Crutchlow another year or two he might be in the same place, but are Ducati willing to wait that long?

The other question to ask of course is how important is Iannone to Ducati? If he threatens to leave for Suzuki or elsewhere unless he is on the full factory team will they allow that? With Cal ending up on the Pramac bike? Or will the tell Iannone to go to Suzuki? As someone has stated before, I don't think Cal's contract is with the team but with the manufacturer themselves, so in theory he could ride anywhere they tell him too next season. 

As for Iannone's first season on board the Ducati, it was not so bad considering it was one (if not THE) most volatile bikes on the grid and he did show some promise when he managed to stay on the thing. Also he was a rookie to the class. If he had been on the Tech 3 or the Gresini team for his first year i expect we would be discussing a very different set of results. I don't remember Cal's debut year being anything out of the ordinary.....

TheApexTwin - I have been starting to think the same thing, Suzuki have always been like that. I remember reading some comments from some of the old managment staff for Suzuki motogp, who said that Suzuki used to pay for the development of a new part and the testing of it, and even have it manufactured but then refuse to let the team go and pick it up! How crazy is that? I think Suzuki need new managment right at the top to become competitve again, although i do really like them as a manufacturer and hope they do well. 

I am with you as well in terms of what they are testing, why are they testing the factory ECU? Again it just doesn't make sense, they had such a huge advantage being able to test whenever they want, and test WHATEVER thet wanted. They had a free pass to really catch the other factories out, and they seem to be wasting it away.

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Suzuki?

What? All that that sorry oufit is, is about promise. Marriage vows broken at every turn. Their only claim to fame is Barry Sheene circa GP. Yeah! Schwantz lucked a title and KR Jnr, doing a steady job earned the millenium 2 stroke titbit.

Back to Dovi and Ducati. Sadly for us,we have to actually wait until 2016 untill we see a level playing field for all. Hope,hope and hope.

General situation current we have to endure 2014 and 2015 is FACTORY MI /FACTORY RCV for another 20 odd months. Four riders and consumate cheese. Well done Dorna and GPC. Hibernation time I guess, until 2016. All the best to all of 'em. Marc Marquez is and was in the junior classes something very special.

Snag is, all of his record smashing march is against 3 other riders and 1 other manufacturer within the ambit of the prevailing GPC law.

I guess Marc don't like it anymore than I do. Then the clowns at the helm of the sport still have the audacity to pull theGP1/GP2/F2/EVO/WHATEVER into the winners circle. Backslapping all around!

WOW! 'I won and you came 10th'. Good on ya mate...Japanese Cup and all.

Why do I watch? Love the sport, but it needs one massive shake up. Dovi on the FACTORY YAMAHA? George would probably trounce him 7 out of 10.

George on the Ducati. Dovi would trounce him and leave him bleeding like he did with Hayden and probably would have done with Flo and is currently doing with the other Andrew and Calvin. Nah! He would never have trounced Rossi on the Ducati...PoliticKing would have seen to that one.

Ducati need to upset the applecart prior to 2016 re rider line up. Buck the established order.

Enjoy SBK y'all, much of the same muchness. Classes within classes.

Reply to this Topic
TheApexTwin

Feb 14

TheApexTwin says:

Bootlegger

When you say Dovi would trounce Lorenzo on the Ducati, presumably you mean the current bike? Possibly right there, but next year's bike is still an unknown quantity. Do you have faith in Dall'igna to deliver what he's promising or do you think Ducati have bigger problems than he's able to change?

There is a cowboy element to Suzuki, but god knows there needs to be more manufacturers in the mix. Maybe 2016 will help to bring some back, or maybe not.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

No No No ........... -1

Bootsie and Witness ... there will never be a level playing field as long as you have factory prototype involvement ..biggest budgets = best engineers best technicians and best riders.  It may by a cynical view but it's a reflection of fact.

Reply to this Topic
TheApexTwin

Feb 14

TheApexTwin says:

Time for Moto1, Saturn........?

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

That would detract from the spectacle Apex

but IMO it's the only way to get a level playing field.  I don't want to see that because it devalues the series.

Lots of people (including myself) slagging off Ezpeleta and Dorna for screwing up but they are trying their best to find an answer to make a better show .. a pretty thankless task.

I challenge any of us armchair experts to come up with a working solution that would please all ... from Factories to tiny privateer outfits.    I'll guarantee there isn't one.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Saturn

I want to see the best rider on the planet wringing the fkn neck out of the best bike made and I'm happy regardless of colours. But that seems to not make many happy these days. The results of the 'X Factor' are now on the news. How come? Opportunity Knocks drew a bigger audience but wasn't on the news back in my day. Everything is now a circus. Shame.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices