Skip to content

BMW Immediate Recall of the 2014 BMW R1200RT R1200RT

You are in... Forums > BMW > R1200RT > Immediate Recall of the 2014 BMW R1200RT

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Immediate Recall of the 2014 BMW R1200RT

BMW has issued an urgent instruction to all owners of 2014 BMW R1200RT owners fitted with the Dynamic ESA electronic suspension system to stop riding their motorcycles with immediate effect. The problem concerns the rear suspension system and the potential failure of the plunger rod assembly inside. The instruction to stop riding motorcycles only relates to the 2014 model of the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 103 days ago (05 June 2014 15:54)

Post a message in R1200RT

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I wonder....

Is this related to the tragic loss of Kevin Ash?

Reply to this Topic
gasgas280

Jul 08

gasgas280 says:

Kevin Ash never rode the 2014 RT! As he died in Jan 2013...

Reply to this Topic
BMWmick1963

Aug 13

BMWmick1963 says:

Well, I can't say I'm particularly surprised. BMW have seemingly made a habit of poor quality control for a number of years now. The list seems almost endless in fact. I take no pleasure in saying this as I am a huge BMW fan, but I have to say that they NEED to urgently solve the quality control issues they seem to keep having. 

My old K1100LT seems to be more reliable at 20 years old and 131K miles then new models. If I was one of the owners of the new RT's that aren't safe to ride I would be bloody furious and possibly talking to a lawyer as well. To be left with a machine that is unsafe to ride that has cost thousands is just plain unacceptalbe.

It''s all very well making new models with lots of toys if they have major problems, and the boxer engine has some long standing problems that have never been fully solved, such as the output shaft oil seal.

If I ever can afford a new bike, it's looking less and less likely to be a BMW.

@SatNavSteve - I doubt it, as I believe he was riding a GS, and if it had been I suspect we'd have heard about it by now.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Kevin Ash wasn't killed by the head shake that the R1200GS doesn't have

That the steering damper added for no reason this year doesn't fix as it didn't happen.

BMW owner here, just waiting for my GS to **** the bed.

Reply to this Topic
pauly58

Jan 13

pauly58 says:

Made in China ?

Is this the same reason as the fuel pumps that kept failing, cheap Chinese components.

Reply to this Topic
tangowhiskey

Jun 14

tangowhiskey says:

I have (had!) one of these!

I bought mine new two months ago and commute daily, having done 2,000 miles so far. I thought it an absolutely cracking machine until......The call yesterday was a real shock - you don't get told to 'under no circumstances ride the bike again. Leave it where it is and we'll collect it'   unless there is a MAJOR safety concern. So, I now don't have any wheels and am 14k out of pocket. Will BMW provide a loan bike? Will mine get fixed in days or is this going to drag out for weeks or even months? What might my rights be? Have they clearly supplied me (and many others) something that's not fit for purpose?

The dealer is the nicest and friendliest I've come across. I am sympathetic in that they didn't build it, only sold it to me! The issue and resolution lies at the feet of BMW UK. I'm not holding my breath.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Tango...

Your dealer should be able to arrange a bike for you to use if you ask them... they ALWAYS have for me, even when the fault was not of their or BMW's making (I had one free of charge for 2 full months).

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

R1200RT

Errrr........ is this an appropriate time to express how much I am lovin' my 2013 RT  :biggrin: 

Reply to this Topic
busby007

Mar 04

busby007 says:

Poor BMW Service

At least BMW seem to be trying to fix things for once

Not like with this chap and his HP4 Carbon:

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/topic/140862-bmw-customer-service/

Reply to this Topic
mileypopp

Jun 14

mileypopp says:

Got the call Thursday... bit of a shock. But with a few calls to BMW Motorrad & my local dealer they've sorted me out a new K1600GTL to use until mine is fixed.Pick it up today (Saturday). Like you Tango, I use the bike to get to work, & a tour around Europe is booked in a fortnight. I've been told that the fix might not happen for at least a fortnight so looks like we'll be on the 1600! Give BMW Motorrad customer services a ring. They've been excellent in my case. But get a move on as there can't be that many bikes available in stock to use, there's nearly 400 RT's sold in GB & 8000 worldwide.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices