Skip to content

General First Big Bike... With a Twist! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > First Big Bike... With a Twist!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Conan260880

Jun 14

Conan260880 says:

First Big Bike... With a Twist!

:smiley:Greetings to all!

I have a unique twist on the usual "what would be the best choice for a first big bike"

I will try to keep it short. 

I am working in the UAE, where biking is not as popular or supported as back home in the UK. Models and support are very limited.

I passed my DAS back in 2004. But haven't really ridden since. I was very comfortable on my course, on a CB500, and passed easily.

However, even after two days on the CB500, I was bored. Wanted more power. And I felt it was physically too small.

I am 6'2", broad build and 95kgs. Sitting on bikes at exhibitions and showrooms, I feel most comfortable on bikes like the VFR1200F, the Ducati MTS1200, Suzuki DL1000, BMW K1300S, etc. The roomy and comfy ones.

I am a firm believer in the idea that maturity, self-control, having accute awareness, being sensible, cautious, etc can keep you safe on a powerful machine,  within reason. Hence, even though I think they're beautiful, desirable, etc, I wouldnt even waste my time sitting on or testing the likes of a GSXR1000 or R1 or S1000RR...

But I do want reserves of power, and I want a bike that will fit my frame. Ive used http://cycle-ergo.com to help, and my size and weight seems to be at odds with the likes of the 650 Ninja, CBR650F, etc.

So, I'm looking for advice from the experienced and knowledgeable please! Really appreciate it!!!

Thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 101 days ago (06 June 2014 12:00)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

What about KTM990?

if you like V twins

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bike choice

If dealers are limited, what brands are available to you?   

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Ummm

If you " ... feel most comfortable on bikes like the VFR1200F, the Ducati MTS1200, Suzuki DL1000, BMW K1300S, etc. The roomy and comfy ones",
then why don't you buy one of them?

Reply to this Topic
Conan260880

Jun 14

Conan260880 says:

KTM 990

:smile I utterly adore v-twins. But I read the 990 is a bit of a handful and that the KTM air filtration system cannot deal well with sandy environments... But you have inspired my to go sit on one and check it out! Do you own one?

Reply to this Topic
Conan260880

Jun 14

Conan260880 says:

Dealers

:smile Thanks for the reply. The dealers here are all small with very limited models and stock. 50% of all lineups have to be imported to order. We have BMW, KTM, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki, all tiny little shops. The only one I would even call a dealer by Euro standards is Ducati.

Reply to this Topic
Conan260880

Jun 14

Conan260880 says:

Mr Sensible

:lol: Hi ninjachica. Oh how I wish I could just get one of those behemoth bikes I listed, but I know that I run a high risk of being intimidated on something with more horses under my hips than the average four door saloon!! Maybe later in life I might... Trying to be sensible... But I like your style there!!!

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Wow

"I run a high risk of being intimidated..."  Really? :blink:

You shouldn't be intimidated by a bikes capabilities - it will only do what you ask of it.:wink:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I had a KTM 690

but it wasn't really for me as it was a big single and I'm not keen on V twins either although I do rate the SV650

Just thought with your stature and what you want it maybe worth looking outside the box.

Reply to this Topic
Conan260880

Jun 14

Conan260880 says:

Solid Replies! Thanks...

:unsure: Ninjachica, hmm, somehow feel utterly emasculated now, lol. Perhaps intimidated was the wrong word. Perhaps better I said that the horsepower kings on that wish list might make more cautious than necessary and prevent my confidence growing a little compared to some lesser beasts. Thats all. 

Babyblade, I agree with u. I adored the older RSVs,  big comfy, sporty, v-twin lookers. Theyve gone all v-4 now sadly. I am a v-twin fan for sure. To me, nothing sounds like a V. Gets the hairs on the neck standing! And theyre slimmer too, with great low end grunt. All good things in my view. As I said initially, the CB500 was a gentle old dog, easy going, but I felt it was weak, underpowered and wallowy. That said,  Im not looking for a rocketship that requires a chiropractor on speed-dial either ! So I like your idea of a big grunt-laden V2. Was also thinking of the DL1000? Any thoughts there? Shes down about 50 bhp on the current KTM 1190, but 115 ponies is not going to disappoint me either. However, being as this is the UAE, offroad antics are on offer everywhere here, and the DL1000 wont cope, the 1190 will... 

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

perhaps

a tenere or Ktm adventure..

something you could take to the dunes as well?

That sort of bike is good for the longer legged

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices