You are in... Forums > General > General > BMW Customer Service

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

busby007

Mar 04

busby007 says:

BMW Customer Service

I tried to post the story here but the character limit keeps kicking in - even when I split it into separate posts.

Please take a look here and let me know what you think:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 53 days ago (07 June 2014 07:28)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I think the ssue

I would be pursuing is that your life was put in danger as you couldn't leave the bike through the design fault.

Have you found anywhere/anyone else who has had an issue with this .

Probably worth gathering as much evidence as possible  to corroborate your experience if you haven't already done so.

Let us know how it goes 

Reply to this Topic
busby007

Mar 04

busby007 says:

Thanks BB41

I haven't found anyone else who had the same thing happen but with the bike being rare and it being rare to get a puncture that deflates the tyre 100% then that doesn't really surprise me.

One of the main points is that the bike recovery people and the BMW dealer have both validated that the bike won't stand when the tyre is flat but BMW refuse to say it's an issue despite agreeing that it happens!

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

On their side

...  they are no doubt thinking;
a) The bike is designed to have the rear tyre inflated
b) The puncture wasn't their fault

That said, obviously a rear puncture is not outside the realms of possibility, and a minor adjustment (shortening) of the sidestand would resolve the issue. 

I would have thought this is a safety issue.  A bike that is designed to fall over under 'not unknown' circumstances, obviously has something wrong with it.

Worth pursuing.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Hi Busby007,why the hidden profile?

I must say,over the years I have found many motorcycles that become very unstable or as has happened to you would in fact fall over, many Suzuki's come to mind straight away, am not saying this is a good thing just saying it's a lot more common than you may think. KC :tongue:

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

It's not unknown....................

I went out to the garage about 15 years ago to get my bike out and go to work. Opened the door, and what I saw almost brought tears to my eyes.  My BMW R80/7 had suffered a slow puncture (unknown to me) and had fallen over when the rear tyre deflated enough for the sidestand to push the bike past 90 degrees.  The BMW had fallen against a 1934 Cotton, which then fell against a 1935 Cotton, which in turn had taken out a Velocette MAC, which took out a Triumph Tiger 110 which finally pushed an A10 BSA into the far wall.

I guess there isn't an answer to this, if you got punctures in both tyres it would have been worse, but to make the sidestand short enough to not push the bike over with two flat tyres, the bike would have to be parked at 45 degrees when the tyres were up.

Good luck with your claim, but I suspect the outcome will be that the damage was caused by the puncture, not a design fault, and BMW won't be responsible.

Ride safe,

Shad.

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

I think

you have a reasonable argument so I would suggest you talk to Andrew on the legal forum let an expert take up the case a modern bike should perform in all circumstances including safety at all times.  

Try ACIC

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
gungerdin8

Feb 11

gungerdin8 says:

best of luck

ive just sold my s1000 twas a nice bit o kit but fuck me it basically fell to bits bmw have a lot to think about !!!!!

their after sales service is WANK !

they just din not wanno no

I say again BEST O LUCK

regards gungga

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool