You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Jumping drive chain

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Jay83

Jun 14

Jay83 says:

Jumping drive chain

I recently found that the drive chain was jumping on my 650 bandit. I have put a new chain and sprockets on (stock set up) and still have the same problem. The wheel is aligned correctly and chain tension is as per Haynes guide. I asked around, mechanics and fellow bikers and the only other suggestion was a damaged drive shaft. Hoping that's not the case. Any help would be appreciated. cheers.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 128 days ago (15 June 2014 14:08)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

chain

Welcome, from what you say the chain is not jumping,

what noises have you or what does the bike feel like? 

If the small sprocket is a good tight fit and the cush drive is ok then you may have to drop the engine oil and look for metal filings/swarf.:shock: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSF 650 Bandit, what year

Hi Jay83 and welcome to the site:smile

So what is the feeling or sounds you are experiencing? does the bike drive or is it just making a noise and not moving?could you explain what the symptoms are in more detail? is the bike new or second hand, when did the trouble start? what's the mileage and service history if any? 

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Jay83

Jun 14

Jay83 says:

Jumping drive chain

Thanks for the replies. 55 plate, I've had the bike just over a year and it's been fine until about a week ago when I went out and it felt 'bumpy' for lack of a better word. I stopped to check tyre pressure, suspension which were fine but found the chain had become loose which led me to think it was knackered so bought a new chain and sprockets as I mentioned.  There were no noises it was just the ride that didn't feel as smooth. It's done about 28500 miles and has some service history. I'm the 4th owner. when I put it on the centre stand and in gear the chain jumps around. Just to clarify it feels bumpy when I'm riding which it didn't before and when it's on it's centre stand in gear the chain 'jumps/ pulls'. To be honest dropping the oil was going to be the next move as you say to see if it had anything in it, just praying it's fixable without costing an arm and a leg. Hope that gives you guys a better idea.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

chain

What`s the chain like in neutral spinning the back wheel backwards then forwards.?

What up and down play does it have in the middle of the bottom run?

Did you make sure the new chain fitted/mated the new sprockets ?:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Reply to this Topic
Jay83

Jun 14

Jay83 says:

Jumping drive chain

Approx 25mm at the tightest point (Haynes manual says between 20mm - 30mm) front chain and sprockets are correct 15 front 47 back (stock) chain is correct etc. The chain seems absolutely fine if I spin it in neutral by hand, no 'jumping'. As I said before the chain and sprockets are all new and have been fitted correctly. A lot of the posts I have read previously on various sites say a tight link, ill fitting/warn sprockets or wheels misaligned can cause this but all of these are fine. I think it's going to be a case of dropping the oil to see what comes out as you suggested before and go from there.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

chain

Never heard of this before, kcmc may have.

If you drop the oil (motorcycle oil and not car oil I hope) I would remove and axe the oil filter open as well.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSF 650 Bandit ,2005 i am presuming?

Hi again

I would be checking the rear wheel bearings first, especially the cush drive hub bearing, don't forget there are three bearings in the rear wheel. But if these and everything you have replaced and have adjusted correctly? are good, then I can only think there is a gearbox bearing failure, or an intermittent clutch slip(it's very difficult to say without feeling it hearing it and seeing it myself) if your bike is a 2005 then its the last of the oil cooled engines, so as Jaffa says, hope you haven't put a car oil in it with some of it's nasty additives only meant for pre unit type engines, lets know what's in the oil when you drop it, try running a magnet through it as bearings are steel so shards should stick to it. Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

chain jumping

If you run the bike on the centre stand in gear, the chain WILL jump. That is perfectly normal.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Are you

just saying that it moves up and down where the slack is? Surely that's just fine, especially when the chain  is not under load (i.e. on the stand). If it's jumping teeth then there's a problem.

If it's a little jumpy when you first open the throttle that'll be it taking up slack which is normal. The chain might also be a tad loose. Just because the chain is loose doesn't mean you need a new one, it means it needs adjusting.

Reply to this Topic
Jay83

Jun 14

Jay83 says:

Oil is clear

Thanks jaffa90 and kcmc for the useful advice. I have checked the bearings in the rear wheel and replaced the sprocket bearing as It wasn't too clever. Unfortunately it has made no difference to the original problem. I have dropped the oil and used a magnet to check for metal filings but it was fine. I'm leaning towards the idea of a gearbox bearing problem now. If only it was simple eh?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices