You are in... Forums > General > General > Race for Life

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Race for Life

I'm in the UK, doing Race for Life on 8th July.

I you want to sponsor me (for cancer research) inbox me, and I'll send you the link to my justgiving page.

(No obligation of course, but if you can spare £5, that would be great:biggrin:)

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 72 days ago (17 June 2014 17:11)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Ninja

All done and good luck... :biggrin: 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Ninjachica

Good on ya, you doin the 5K or 10K ?

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

KC

Only doing the 5k.

I've been practicing here (up and down the local mountain), so it should be easy enough.
However, I'm doing it with my daughter who is now 6 months pregnant, so it won't be a sprint!

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Thank you

Only £10 to go before I reach my target.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Maybe I'll be able to thank you personally in Matlock Bath...?
:sunglasses:

(date tbc)

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Ninja...

Im always up for an ice cream... :biggrin: 

Reply to this Topic
outlookexcess

Sep 12

Ninja

Good on ya, but could you explain to me why, these days, all cancer awareness events seem to be exclusively for Women.

It's noticeable in all cancer research fundraising campaigns and TV advertising.

Cancer awareness seems to focus primarily on Women.

As far as I know, there are male specific cancers that claim as many lives as female specific one's, such as prostate, that hardly ever get any coverage.

Why is that do you think.

As a foot note, My Wife's doing this race for life, and I've been told I can't join her as it's Women only.

Sorry, but this sucks

Can you imagine the uproar there would be if Cancer research started excluding Women in the same way

:mad:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Race for LIfe

This is the ONLY women only event that I know of. 

All of the TV campaigns I've seen feature both men and women, so I don't know what you are watching.

Male specific (prostrate) cancers...  surely 'Movember' couldn't get much more coverage and support?  I think it gets more coverage than the Race for Life. 
Sexist?  Maybe, but I don't know of any women that cause uproar about being excluded from movember. :wink:

As an overview, I'm inclined to think that as women are deemed the 'more caring' sex, there may be a slant in that direction, but I can't say that I've ever noticed.

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

good luck with your

run Ninja....I'm already sponsoring my sis-in-law, but sounds like you are well on target to reach your, well, err, target ! :blink:.....:smile

..as for outlooks take, I think blokes are much less likely to talk about any kind of medical conditions with there friends and families, and movember is very cleverly marketed as not to really be entirely 'up front' about what it is really about...  A couple of years ago I grew a 'tash for movember and most of the people at work hadn't got a clue why i had, or what the relevance it had to the cause in question..:huh:

Reply to this Topic
outlookexcess

Sep 12

Ninja

Sorry but prostate and testicular cancer does not get a fraction of the coverage that female specific cancers get.

You named one campaign, compared to dozens that have take place over the years for breast and cervical cancers.

It's a fact I'm afraid, and when I raised this over the phone with a cancer research rep recently, she agreed with me and said more needs to be done for Men.

It is starting.

Micheal Parkinson has been quite active promoting prostate cancer awareness recently, but these campaigns are way way behind the publicity that female specific cancers get.

I am an avid cancer research supporter by the way, and have been involved with the charity for over 20 years.

PS, isn't race for life a general cancer awareness campaign, as opposed to movember which is specific to prostate cancer 

So why are men not allowed to take part if this is the case.

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Outlook

Movember (a portmanteau from moustache and "November") is an annual event involving the growing of moustaches during the month of November to raise awareness of men's health issues, such as prostate cancer and other male cancers, and associated charities. The Movember Foundation runs the Movember charity event, housed at Movember.com.[1] The goal of Movember is to "change the face of men's health."[2]

By encouraging men (which the charity refers to as "Mo Bros") to get involved, Movember aims to increase early cancer detection, diagnosis and effective treatments, and ultimately reduce the number of preventable deaths. Besides annual check-ups, the Movember Foundation encourages men to be aware of family history of cancer and to adopt a healthier lifestyle.

So - not just prostrate cancer then... :smile

R4L

When we launched Race for Life in 1994 it was unique due to the fact that it was a women only event and this aspect has really shaped how the series has grown from strength to strength each year. The atmosphere on the day of Race for Life events has a strong sense of sisterhood, uniting all women with a common goal, to raise funds to beat cancer.

We regularly review our events to make them the best they can be and three years ago we seriously looked at whether we should let men enter Race for Life. However, our research showed that Race for Life’s success is due to its appeal to women as a women-only event and to allow men to enter could bring in less income for the charity’s life saving work.

We cannot risk this vital source of income to cancer research. We hope you understand that this decision has been made in the best interests of the cause.

There are, however, many ways that men can get involved with Race for Life. Male volunteers are invaluable at our events - we really couldn't go on without them - so any men that would like to support Race for Life by becoming a volunteer would be making a real contribution to the cause

So, men can get involved too :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices