Skip to content

Discuss This Harley goes electric with Livewire New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Harley goes electric with Livewire

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Harley goes electric with Livewire

Harley-Davidson has now officially released information and images on the all-new Livewire which is the firm’s first foray into the world of electric power and also makes it the first mainstream manufacturer to produce an electric motorcycle. The all-electric Livewire has a 55kW three phase electric motor which produces the equivalent of 74bhp and insiders suggest it has a claimed range...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 70 days ago (19 June 2014 09:13)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
yaki

Apr 13

yaki says:

Harley kicking ass and its good looking,where are the out of date yesterdays men japs now, still in a meeting.

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

I think you'll find that the bike that's just won the electric TT is Japanese :-)

Good luck to Harley for having a go - even if I've yet to be convinced electric is the way to go :-)

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

"where are the out of date yesterdays men japs now, still in a meeting"

Where they'll have decided that lithium-ion technology is a technological dead end, not economically or ecologically viable for the mass market.

You can tell that it's already obsolescent because Harly are using it.

Good luck to them, but even with vile greenwashing subsidies this will be an expensive trinket with limited appeal.

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

Well done Harley , rather amusing that it may be the fasted best handling Harley yet, and its not even covered in chrome! we do seem to forget that rather a lot of electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels, just because you dont see the fumes dont mean theres no fire.

Reply to this Topic
britri123

Dec 07

britri123 says:

Well done Harley. That is a seriously good looking Motorcycle. Im sure the brain deads will still wheel out the old Harley jokes though. Much as i love petrol engines i fear this is the future. 

Reply to this Topic
touge

Jun 14

touge says:

looks cool! I dig it. 

Yamaha is bringing electric to the showroom floor very soon. Check out PES1 and PED1

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

OK, so for all the fanfare.

This is a couple (or perhaps one) tech demo that will get trailered around dealers so that Harley can figure out whether enough leather clad accountants want to buy one in order to justify producing it?

I doubt we'll get it in the UK, since we won't subsidise it.

Reply to this Topic
geoffb61

Sep 08

geoffb61 says:

a 'me-too' not a step forward

Nothing to see here really.

So Harley have put a few Li-ion batteries and a 3-phase motor in a bike - that is nothing new.

I will sit up and take notice when a motorcycle or car manufacture addresses the issues of range and recharge times for electric vehicles.

At the moment energy density figures for batteries are woeful when compared to a fuel tank (about 0.5 MJ/litre for batteries compared to about 40 MJ/litre for petrol). And I can recharge my 20 litre tank in about 5 minutes (and that includes paying for it and buying wine gums!) compared to several hours to recharge batteries.
Also there is no loss in performance as my 'charge' decreases with petrol whereas there most definitely is with batteries -  I suspect that '100 mile range' is at urban speeds and not motorway/A road speed as this can drastically reduce range.

In short, a nice toy, and a cynical nod to the greens, but it's not moving anything forward.

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

Do you

have to put a playing card on a peg in the spokes to make it sound like a motor bike?

Reply to this Topic
claymorestudio

Apr 08

HD Joke

LOL  what prat would attempt to look cool riding that thing? Beckham would suite it but anyone who is genuinly a biker wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices