Skip to content

General Do I need to lock my bike in my driveway? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Do I need to lock my bike in my driveway?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jamie85

Jun 14

jamie85 says:

Do I need to lock my bike in my driveway?

I am curious if I am required to lock my bike while it is parked on my property? Is this down to the specific insurer?

The only exclusion the insurer specifies in the policy document is :

"Loss or damage arising from theft whilst the ignition keys have been left in or on your bike."

Thanks.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 61 days ago (23 June 2014 10:17)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Depends

Do you want to find your bike where you left it?

Reply to this Topic
jamie85

Jun 14

jamie85 says:

Yes

Yes, but I'd still like to know if the insurer requires it to be locked up. 

Reply to this Topic
outlookexcess

Sep 12

Mine does

It's because around 80% of bikes are stolen from the owners property.

Bit of a no brainer really

Reply to this Topic
jamie85

Jun 14

jamie85 says:

They do

"Bit of a no brainer really"

So the insurer does require it to be locked.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

ins

I`ve had umpteen ins com,

they all ask ( will the bike be locked up when NOT in use,) or similar and we all state yes.

Reply to this Topic
stirfry

Jan 08

stirfry says:

even if it

isn't required, it'll save you the hassle of going through a claim. As soon as the errr scrap men see it, it wont be there very long.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

"Do I need to lock my bike in my driveway?"

They probably asked you what security you have fitted or make use of. On my original application I had to list what alarms and specific lock & chain combos I use. I don't recall seeing that on the renewals but check the small print. They don't seem to require that you lock it to anything so if thieves lifted it into a van with a lock dangling from the wheel I'd guess you'd still be covered.

You could ask them...

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Jamie

you will have to make sure that apart from hiring the SAS you will have done everything possible to prevent theft from your driveway.

So ground anchors , alarms anything which will deter a thief.

Usually the insurance quote will ask what security measures you have in place as was stated 

Reply to this Topic
weasel64

Mar 07

weasel64 says:

jamie

even if the ins co don't say it has to be locked , you'd be a fuggin idiot not to !!!!!

any " deterrent " is better than none man ..

take that from a man that KNOW'S !!!!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

What I do

is I do several quotes with different options. I usually insure the bike without security. So for example when I was keeping it on a drive, it was insured to be kept unsecured on the drive. This is because the risk of me crashing was seen as higher than the risk of theft and so the cost was the same. It also meant that if on one occasion I forgot to secure it, they couldn't screw me over. If you insure it with locks and chains it is assumed you will be using them all the time and if you don't you may not be insured.

So if it's insured as "left overnight on a private drive" with no security devices attached to your policy, my understanding is that this means it's insured if you leave it not locked up on the drive. Obviously you'd be mad to not secure it properly with a good chain and lock - a proper one, not a £20 job that a junior hacksaw will see to. If you want to reliably find your bike where you left it, then you want to be spending £100+ on a chain. I use a very high quality alarmed disc lock when I'm out as I park in very public places. If I was parking in quieter places, I'd be securing with my exceedingly beasty chain.

So in conclusion - it depends on how you insured it to be left overnight and what security devices you specified on the policy. If you specified security, it must be employed and if it gets nicked you may well be asked to provide evidence of damaged chains / locks. If of course you fake that and the police find out, you'll be charged with perverting the course of justice as well as any fraud offences you've committed - the former alone often carries a custodial sentence as they don't take it lightly.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices