Skip to content

Discuss This Top 10 infamous bike ads General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Top 10 infamous bike ads

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Top 10 infamous bike ads

Adverts from a pre-political correctness age. They certainly don’t make ’em like this anymore… Life helmets | 1979Californian-made Life caused a massive stir in the late ’70s with its campaign featuring body-painted models Tula and Diane West. The shooting of the ads was featured, revealingly, in Aussie magazine Revs while controversy was stoked four years later when Tula,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 64 days ago (25 June 2014 16:54)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

That's my old Pantah in the '83 Avon ad before it self combusted with 30' smoke and flame jets from the fuel taps. There's still melted levers in the tarmac to his day!

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Norton Girls

Gotta love sex in advertising! I've never seen most of these ads, just the Norton Girl, which we had in the US for a few years. More recently we've had some risque ads by apparel company Scorpion in the US. Political correctness hasn't quite ruined everything just yet.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Can't remember the last time I noticed a bike ad

I have a vague generalised impression of sepia images of Catalogue Man with his Catalogue Man Stubble leaning a bike over a bit, with a daft camera angle taking it the rest of the way to near-horizontal.  Mountain backdrop or racetrack, depending on what fantasy they're selling.

Since I genuinely can't remember any details, perhaps modern marketeers should give "Buy this bike and you'll be beating the tarts off with a rusty chain" ads a second go?

Reply to this Topic
Lifeintheslowlane

Jun 10

seconded Rogerborg

I am a man

I do not think with my brain

Twenty years of conditioning with pc advertising has not worked

(if you will excuse me I'm off to find a Guzzi dealer with a 1981 model in stock)

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Also...

If my GTS came with the advertised model it would have been my big end knackered long before the bikes!

Reply to this Topic
DOCTIRED

Oct 06

DOCTIRED says:

Ah, The Girlie Ads

Nice to see A Goldie being so gracefully staddled.... Now kick it over Luv......

Reply to this Topic
RogerRSV

Jul 09

RogerRSV says:

Ducati 1980.

The top photo looks like it was taken in the Ducati lunch hour with one of the secretaries!

"for a signed photo of Ago, come in to the factory and get yer legs akimbo!"

Reply to this Topic
07sporty

Apr 13

07sporty says:

Teenage dreams

In amongst the posters of Sheene, Grant, Roberts Etc. I had the Life Helmets poster. Never knew she was a he though. 

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

You can't beat a good bike advert.

You can't beat an ad with a woman straddling a bike. Or just stood next to it will do ( . )( . ) 

Also may I add that the young lady from looe ad had me laughing my arse off lol.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices