Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow in Suzuki talks MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow in Suzuki talks

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow in Suzuki talks

Suzuki could offer Cal Crutchlow an early escape from his Ducati hell. The British rider’s personal manager Bob Moore met with senior Suzuki management during the recent Catalunya race in Barcelona, with the 28-year-old one of several big name stars linked with the Japanese factory for 2015. Crutchlow could move to spearhead Suzuki’s factory assault in MotoGP next season because he has...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 87 days ago (27 June 2014 09:23)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

Lol

I'd say few solid results and cals ducati ride is safe anyways, better qualifying and hope race is solid and safe for

all. 

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

I wonder how mutch Gigi is able to tell Cal Dovi and the Maniac Joe about the 2015 Ducati? From what i gather, it will be a completely new bike. But who knows how good it will be? The current Ducati riders can't move to factory Yamaha or HRC as those seats are surely staying with the current riders. Big gamble for any of them to ride the Suzuki. Imagine going to Suzuki and finding out the 2015 Ducati is a great bike. LCR should go for Ianone, verry fast rider on a good Honda. Maniac Joe could podium regularly on Bradls bike i reckon.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

This is what happens when money takes precedence over a compettive bike. He left Tech 3 to go to Ducati purely because of the fat pay cheque.

Reply to this Topic
uservirgin

Aug 13

uservirgin says:

Sorry Billy but no, he didn't jump ship for the money.

We're laymen, we talk a good race and an even better desire to be WC but Cal is living it.

Be honest, he was never  going to be WC on the Tech 3 and he was on 300k a year(?, just figure i heard) and he gets the call from Ducati: Works, yes,  full Works bike (like the Yams and Honda's, ish, you know what i mean, they have to get it right sometime don't they?) offering 5 milion.

Seriously, you'd say, Actually, i have to win the WC (but not on my present bike, it's not good enough and the 4 seats capable of winning a WC are tied up tight) so thank you but I'll stay on a bike capable of 4/5th at best without catastrophic failure by the top 4 bikes (not necessarilly riders) to give you a result?

We're not fighting for a WC, we're not trying to get a dog of a bike to work in the glare of the world, it's easy to say "should have stayed at Tech3 and see what Yam might offer" but with Pol, a very decent rider despite my initial misgivings snapping at his heels with a Yam contract wedged firmly in his sky you'd have taken the satellite 300K over the Works 5 million?

Course you would.

Please don't come back with the usual "Should have the ambition to go for the WC over everyting" bollocks.

I'll say it again, he was never going to win a WC on the Tech3, any more than \Pol or Brad is or do you disagree or believe without a factory contract like Pol he had any chance of getting a Works Yam?

Frankly and embarrassingly for some, he did exactly what every one of us would do when it's our job, not some fantasy motogp jolly, we all have MCN for that particular folly, I'd take the 5 mil with the chance the Ducati wasn't as bad as they said, just like I'd take suzuki's money for the privelege.

Who wouldn't, truthfully?

Reply to this Topic
Ocdcbr

Jul 11

Ocdcbr says:

Well said!

Reply to this Topic
hurdyfurdy

Jul 12

hurdyfurdy says:

Loyalty

Ducati don't have any (see how they treated Stoner when he was ill and Hayden when the crap bike made him look like he couldn't ride any more.  They also did a deal with Crutchlow for 2013 then undid that deal after he stupidly told the world he had it ).  Crutchlow doesn't seem to have any either (was leaving Tech 3 for Ducati then had to stay.  Joined Ducati with a getout clause if it wasn't going his way.

Suzuki will never choose Crutchlow over Dovi, Iannone, A Espag or Hernandez.  They're just blowing smoke to cover what they're really doing.

Ducati don't want to keep Crutchlow but if he doesn't leave voluntarily are stuck with him.  Gigi has always said he only wants riders who believe in Ducati and aren't there for the money. 

Crutchlow won't hop off a 'factory' bike onto a satellite Honda for less money.  Despite all his big talk, he doesn't have anywhere else to go but Ducati. Yeah the Duke isn't great but he has access to more fuel and the softer tyres which Toseland says gives three quarters of a second in qualifying (hence A Esp on pole).  Measure his performance against the other Ducati riders (breakdowns excluded) and he's not doing it. Hasn't half the ability he thinks he has.

Gigi will swop him and Inanonne for 2015 and Cal won't have a say in it.

Reply to this Topic
hurdyfurdy

Jul 12

hurdyfurdy says:

Factory Yamaha

I know it's off topic but I'm on a rant. What were Rossi & Lorenzo doing yesterday in qualifying?  Both experienced riders. Neither of them got a decent flying lap.  MM realised he had to get a lap done before the rain got any worse so once his tyres were fully warm barged to the front and banked a front row lap.  Smith realised mid pack wasn't gonna do it so hung back to get clear air then went for it.  Lorenzo couldn't decide whether he wanted to be out front or hang back and dithered until it was too late.  Rossi stayed in the pack until it was too late. They both looked a bit pathetic when most of the riders had done a good lap and they were tottering around the circuit waiting for it to magically dry out.

Mr Jarvis - qualifying plan required for next race.

Reply to this Topic
ChupaChump

Aug 11

ChupaChump says:

J-LO

Was never going to risk another busted collarbone by pushing too hard on a damp track and who can blame him.  

@BillyBoy.

What would Cal have been riding if he'd stayed at Tech3?  Pol and Brad had already been hired so where did Crutchlow fit in with these plans?  I don't think he had any other option apart from going to Ducati and he should be grateful that he was given that opportunity at all...   

Reply to this Topic
mirloXXbob

Mar 14

mirloXXbob says:

Lorenzo

Might have won the title last year if not for the injuries. He certainly would have made it closer.

As for the main topic, Suzuki need a development rider and another young gun like Iannone who will ride the stink out of the bike no matter what. I like Cal but I don't think he's their guy.

A better choice would be Pedrosa although I don't think they can get him away from Honda for a year or two.

Reply to this Topic
copey15

Jun 14

copey15 says:

Agree with JW

Crutchlow is a bad bet for Suzuki and even Ducati.

Gigi will surely shuffle the pack and get Iannone on his ride, couldn't do any worse that's for sure.

Crutchlow is an average rider ( at best ) who was made to look good by a great bike in previous years.

Any talk of Tom Sykes for Suzuki, or any other MotoGP team, is naiave and laughable.

Sometimes people on here are blinded by a rider's nationality, just because they wave a Union Jack doesn't mean we are obliged to follow them.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices