Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

Filtering

I've been watching my vid back of me doing it... and I'm concerned. :shock:

I think I do it a bit fast, but then the big thing that really concerns me is I keep doing it as the traffic speed begins to pick up... probably too much.  

What speed does that traffic have to move at for you to stop filtering and get back in line with the traffic?  

I'm talking about on a three lane motorway/ dual carriage with plenty of space between the vehicles. 

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 83 days ago (28 June 2014 13:58)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Why don't you

Post up the clip.

Difficult to assess without seeing it, but for me as a rule of thumb, I get beck into line once traffic is at about 30mph.

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

filtering

MAG UK recommends that the definition of ‘filtering’ be that of ‘moving between traffic when other surrounding traffic is stationary or slow moving (no more than to 20 mph)’.

Anything above 20mph is actually overtaking.

To answer your question I personally do not overtake with lane splitting above 30mph.

Anything above 30mph seems sensible to me should happen without lane splitting :smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

filtering

cheers guys. 

well, I'm probably a bit faster, at around 35-40mph. I better get back in line then. Its only because its on motorway, but on ordinary roads I wouldn't filter through traffic going at 30 mph.  

I would post the clip on this site, but don't want to post it on you tube really. 

Normally I'm very good (no undertaking... etc), but filtering put my brain in filtering mode, and then the speed of the traffic slowly begins to pick up and I find myself still filtering. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

If you're

doing what I imagine you're doing the cops would probably either give you a serious bollocking or a ticket for careless driving, likely depending on your attitude. Car drivers hate that as well and it puts you at serious risk as the cars are moving so fast and will potentially change direction so fast that you don't have a big enough reactionary gap in addition to the added stopping distance you'll need. Plus as your course and speed are constantly changing, they can't predict what you're going to do in order to plan their own lane changes and may easily miss you in mirror checks so it puts you at much higher risk of not being seen.

I'd be thinking filtering at half that speed and accepting adequate progress at anything above 20-25mph.

Remember that it's not your own ability to weave through the obstacles that's in question, but other people being aware enough to see you and being able to plan around what you're doing. Whilst other riders might have an idea of where you'll go next, purely car drivers will have no clue and might not appreciate what you're doing with a brief mirror check which is usually quick enough to establish someone's position and distance but often not long enough to properly establish speed and direction of travel (unless it's extreme).

Reply to this Topic
weasel64

Mar 07

weasel64 says:

i remember

coming back from Donny park on the M1 , on my 98 blade , filtering in packed road conditions at 140mph+ ..

well it wasn't actually filtering I was racing a guy on a " blackbird " , & thankfully & just before I did he stuck his leg out ( saying he'd had enough ) , pheww that ' race ' went on for about 7/8 miles .. still makes me feel lucky / great thinking about it ..

as for ' normal filtering im with you at around the 40mph mark ..

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Weas

That was you???????  :tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

filtering

there's the matter of having to defend you're actions though if a driver does something silly and knocks us off. As I understand it filtering is legal and a number of test cases have backed up bikers doing it.  But, for that reason I decided i needed to do it in such a way that my actions would be defensible if something were to happen.  That probably means sticking to filtering when traffic is less that 20 mph. 

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Filtering

I remember hitting heavy traffic on the french motorway once.

We filtered our way to the front, where we discovered that the problem was 2 lorries, with matched speeds; one trying to overtake the other.  No chance.

So... we filtered between them.  :blink:
Nice clear motorway after that. :wink::biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Filtering

Personally I don't do it unless I really have to, it's too dangerous.

If you really know what you are doing and do it safely you should be fine, but there is always an element of risk.

It may not be you but another driver that makes the mistake, you may be able to see the 12 vehicles that you are filtering past but how many of them actually see you.

Consider the consequences if you get it wrong, say 40 mph on a motorway, if someone should cut across your path, you would more than likely be knocked off and to the ground. Would the three lanes of following traffic actually stop to avoid hitting you, I think not. scary stuff.

Slower speeds fair enough, if you make a mistake the risk is lower but higher speeds nah, stick to proper overtaking.

A friend of mine his son was a learner on a new 125, after a couple of months he got knocked off filtering, he thought he was doing the biking thing passing slow moving traffic. He got knocked off filtering past stationary traffic at a side road and as he past the leading vehicle it turned into the side road and knocked him off. The driver didn't see him.

It was slow speed, but he was ok and his new bike was written off.

Take care.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Filtering

One of the great pleasures, had two panda cars move over last week while filtering between a line of slow moving traffic, though I have made a concious effort to slow down, as I was getting too quick.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices