Skip to content

General Do Euro Bikes Really Break? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Do Euro Bikes Really Break?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Do Euro Bikes Really Break?

Looking at bike change soon.  Always had Japanese, and litre thou's for the last 7 years. Will be another thou sports but the euro beauties are certainly catching the eye... Hear some stories, a friend who's an aprilia mechanic says the electrics and software on the RSV4 are terrible, and iver heard alot of S1000RR's spend more time being fixed in the garage than on the road (Ducati not included Panigale out of budget).  If I go euro for lust am I going to sacrifice reliabilty.  The current offering from the Japanese four is a bit staid, apart from the ZX10 and I have the older model of that now. :blink:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 25 days ago (04 July 2014 16:38)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Good question...

I have wondered the same myself although I currently have no intention of buying a new bike... What is your useage level???

Personally, and for the very reason of reliability, I will always be a hard man to dissuade from jap bikes.

Especially GSXR750's!!!!!!    :tongue:

Reply to this Topic
outlookexcess

Sep 12

Horses for courses

I've owned almost everything over the years, including Euro bikes (BMW, Guzzi, Ducati, and Hinckley Triumph)

Oh yes and MZ :blink:

I have had minor niggles with many of these, but nothing major, and nothing that has caused me to break down.

The worst bike I ever owned, which broke down all the time and eventually gave up the ghost 1000 miles from home in Italy, was a Yamaha.

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Usage

Well it certainly wouldnt be a commuter haha.  Its really just for weekend fun, and the annual european trip of about 700 miles or more.  I know all bikes can break down... I just wouldnt want it constantly at the back of the mind or be constantly taking it apart or back to the dealers to fix or have it sat up in the garage when the sun is out, no matter how gorgeous it is haha. 

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Had

Same dilemma years back. got bored with yet another jap bike. (which were not always as mechanically reliable as people think). 

Eventually bought a Aprilia RSV 8 yrs back. still have it, its now done 70,400 miles and its let me down once when the alternator failed. 

Reply to this Topic
outlookexcess

Sep 12

All I can say is

don't believe too much in what you read in magazines and on the internerd.

A lot of people have out of date opinions, based on experiences from decades ago.

How does the saying go ?

Mud sticks

Except of course for the Japanese.

I can go far back enough to remember some of the real shite that came out of Japanese factories back in the 70's and 80's, which people have forgotten about, but yet still wax lyrical about the chrome falling of the mudguard of their Guzzi California 35 years ago.

Go figure,

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

Honda

in the 80s honda produced some real turds. Namely i am refferring to CB250n Super Dream, CX500 and Mini Melody.

All bags of shite

Reply to this Topic
outlookexcess

Sep 12

And let's not forget

those early Honda V4's of the early 80's which had a propensity to eat their own top ends.

Nicknamed "chocolate cams"

(Although actually, I have rather fond memories of the CX500)

:shock:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

listen....

to the baron.:smilelong test....it picks up when he puts it in 'race' mode.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices