Skip to content

Ask an Expert Losing power and lots of oil coming out of the airbox Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Losing power and lots of oil coming out of the airbox

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Cris89

Jul 14

Cris89 says:

Losing power and lots of oil coming out of the airbox

Hi everyone, my bike , GasGas Fse 450 has a problem and no one (even mechanics) know what could be. It's losing power and the engine oil is going out through the air filter. I've change the oil and have put the measure that the brand recommends 1200 ml and a new oil filter, i've clean everything and the oil is always comming out and the bike its clearely losing power.I don't see relevant quantity of smoke, just a litlle little bit when push hard the engine. Anyone with opinion? Sorry language mistakes.

Regards

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 19 days ago (07 July 2014 00:06)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

compression test

it to gas gas spec then you will know whether its the combustion eg (piston) blowing the oil out of the engine (not good)

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Losing power

Welcome Cris89, (year younger than me I wish),

don`t know your bike, but oil in air box can be too much oil in the engine or wrong oil put in or a worn engine through lack of oil.

Oil level checks on most bikes is when cold but some after a run.

A dry and wet compression test should be done really.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

oscar

beats me again.:upset:

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

but many

hands make light work :biggrin:jaffa

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

GasGas 450 year?

Hi Cris89 and welcome to the site :smile

As the guys have pointed out it's probably compression blowing by the piston compressing the crankcase and blowing oil vapour in excess into the airbox, could be a broken piston ring, excessively worn piston or cylinder bore, or damage to the cylinder wall. Also if it's had a top end rebuild or it's new and running it, if full synthetic oil is used the piston and rings may never wear in,  run in,  bed in,  and will blow by, quite common also with folks being too tentative running in engines with Nikasil  type cylinder bores. Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

dont know the bike

but my first port of call would be to check the crank case breather/hose is not blocked

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

GasGas 450 year?

Had a rethink (as ya do) if your engine has titanium inlet valve's ????(think it might) then they are worn out and will need replacing or you may have a broken inlet valve spring again allowing blow back through the injector body into the airbox.:hmmm:

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices