Skip to content

Discuss This Clamp down on illegal exhausts General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Clamp down on illegal exhausts

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

Clamp down on illegal exhausts

Hampshire Police has vowed to clamp down on illegal motorcycle exhausts, but also reassured riders that only those who are breaking the law will be targeted.The police response followed a joint campaign mounted by 13 parish councils in the area surrounding the A32 in Hampshire, a popular route for riders with stop-offs including Loomies Café. Hampshire police’s Inspector Steve Wakeford...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 44 days ago (07 July 2014 16:21)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Tinhead1856

Jul 14

Tinhead1856 says:

I find this ironic as it is common knowledge that loud pipes save lives, Infact their used to be a campaign (quite) a few years ago. We all know drivers dont look for motorcyclists but at least until now they could hear us. I get some people had baffleless systems but they wont stop these guys either as they usually have a stamped legal system where they have been removed.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

There

is such a thing as being antisocially loud - I've seen plenty of them and it gets to the point where it's beyond safety and it'll be waking people up and so on.

That said, I'm considering "modifying" the baffle in my exhaust or getting a replacement that's a little louder. I don't however want to remove the baffle entirely as it'll just piss off the neighbours.

There is a reason that Dominos electric scooters have speakers and make a noise because it's safer.

Reply to this Topic
firkit

Apr 05

firkit says:

Louds pipes

Loud pipes saves lives 

mine has a full akra system on her with no baffles in and I do not intend on putting the baffles in to quiet for me and the knobheads who drive whilst on the phone can hear me.

what about the Harley's with open pipes?

what about the tarted up turds that young lads and girls drive? 

If they not stopping cars as well it is discrimination towards bikers

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

WHY

Why just bikes there are plenty of crap bag of **** cars out there with illegal systems on them. And they sound absolutely shite, and annoying.

I have had legal replacement systems or  just cans on my bikes and don't see a problem. even with baffles removed.

This is just blatant discrimination again.

Mcn Needs to ask plod how many cars with illegal systems have been pulled and prosecuted.

I bet none  

Reply to this Topic
plumbgod

Jan 14

plumbgod says:

yeah there's nothing wrong with a jazzed up 1.2 litre corsa with a rocket launcher exhaust going nowhere yet sounding like thunder apparrently plod thinks that ok as long as johnny on his 1200 is good and quiet, endangering himself and others whilst knobs talk on phones or post crap on facebook or some other useless pointless waste of life 

Reply to this Topic
plumbgod

Jan 14

plumbgod says:

yeah there's nothing wrong with a jazzed up 1.2 litre corsa with a rocket launcher exhaust going nowhere yet sounding like thunder apparrently plod thinks that ok as long as johnny on his 1200 is good and quiet, endangering himself and others whilst knobs talk on phones or post crap on facebook or some other useless pointless waste of life 

Reply to this Topic
plumbgod

Jan 14

plumbgod says:

stupid site posted my comment twice oh well thats how mad it makes me anyway

I run a zzr 1400 with open pipes, not too loud just loud enough to entertain me 

Reply to this Topic
MarkinQatar

Jan 13

MarkinQatar says:

Police 'Spokesidiot'

Where do these spokes people get their information?  This guy is talking out of his Policemans helmet!

''motorcycles are inherently loud and the noise heard may not only be caused by exhaust''

Are motorcycles inherently loud?  What makes you say that?  What other parts cause these inherently loud noises?

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

That's what

annoys me. They see caravans being pulled or trailers with a bit of cardboard for a plate yet they'll pull the motorcyclist for the slightly too small plate.

They see chavmobiles with horrendous bean tin exhausts that are modified to the point where they're unsafe but they'll pull the well maintained motorcycle with an grand worth of Akrapovic that's slightly too loud. As I say, there's antisocial exhausts and there are slightly loud exhausts. I don't endorse the former but the latter are perfectly fine by me. I can think of two occasions in the last couple of weeks where a louder exhaust could have made my life a lot safer and saved me jamming on the brakes.

I think so many offences are overlooked for petty offences committed by bikes. I don't see the point in small plates but still, they do nothing about someone sticking a bit of cardboard with felt tip on it. You can't have one rule for one and one for the other.

If I were a copper and I found someone with an exhaust that was slightly loud I'd absolutely ignore it. If it was antisocial and making me vibrate then yeh - I'd do something about it. Also, I'd only use a slightly small plate as an excuse to pull if I needed one but frankly again, if you take the piss you're asking for trouble - if it's not even close to legal or a US style plate or you've put a black screw head in there to make it say something else then yeh. That said, do they clamp down on show plates on cars where the font is slightly wrong or they're misrepresented in order to spell something? Of course not judging by the number I see.

Keep it legal and you won't have issues - don't give them a reason to pull you and start potentially picking up things you've not noticed. They tend not to give advice any more but they're obsessed with targets which stops people thinking. Check boxes in public service may improve stats but that's because they're aiming to improve the stats. In certain cases it works, but in other cases it fucks things up.

EDIT: As for "inherently loud" - I agree - UTTER SHITE! Yes it's probably technically more difficult to quiet them down as the exhaust is shorter but it can be done and some bikes are almost dangerously quiet. Such as mine.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Some people do take the pee though

There are many people who have shortened race cans to turn them in to stubbies and run these on road bikes. Race cans are generally much louder than road spec cans so shortened ones could be considered to be taking the pee.

If somebody lives close to a bike meet area and frequently experience road bikes with race cans, cut down race cans and slash cut pipes then it could be understandable that they occasionally get pigged off with the noise. Mallory Park is a case in point that third party noise is less tolerated than it used to be.

For the future of biking we might either have to stop going to the same places all the time or quieten things down in certain areas.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices