Skip to content

Ask an Expert What does my Honda cg cut out during a ride? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > What does my Honda cg cut out during a ride?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jkhar

Jul 14

jkhar says:

What does my Honda cg cut out during a ride?

Hi

I'm new to this forum and new to biking.  I recently passed my cbt and thought I'd get myself (after doing my research) something reliable and troube free so, I went for a Honda cg 125 2006 (56 plate).  It had passed its MOT with no advisories and had a few new parts fitted by previous owner (not sure when last servcied though).  It was great for the first couple of weeks, no problems and then I was riding back from a friends house and it started to slow right down and had no power what so ever.  My boyfriend came and adjusted the choke and it worked fine then for the journey home.  This happened a second time but in rush hour traffic and in the far lane (it was not nice).  I managed to pull in and adjusted the choke again to about half way and it was fine.  Ive not been out on it since.

Why does this keep happening?  I havent been on it as my confidence has been slightly knocked.  I plan to ride it out when the roads are more quiet to see if it happens again.  I am also planning to get it in for a service ASAP.  Thanks in advance :smile

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 68 days ago (15 July 2014 09:28)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cut out

Welcome jkhar, your bike is in a dangerous condition as you have said (it was not nice).

Your carb needs servicing and an in line filter fitting to prevent crap entering it. Also your tank may be rusty inside.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CG 125 2006

Hi Jkhar and welcome to the site :smile

Bit confused over your boyfriend adjusting your choke? what did he do?, is there plenty of fuel in it?, and have you also checked it hasn't just gone on reserve? Good Luck

KCMC :tongue:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jkhar

Jul 14

jkhar says:

thanks

Thanks for the reply.  I will get it looked at ASAP, hopefully not a major problem.  I do get a warning when its going to happen, as it starts to slow down so I get the chance to pull in but, dont what it happening regularly.

Thanks

Reply to this Topic
jkhar

Jul 14

jkhar says:

cut out

HI Kcmc

The choke was down when it 'cut out' and moving it slightly, about a 1/4 way the engine ticked over nicely.  It might sound daft but its as if the choke had moved posistion?  Not sure if this is possible as I know nothing about these things and I just learning about it all.  It had 3/4 of fuel in it and not on reserve which I checked when it happend.

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

Have a look at this

idle screw adjustment :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
jkhar

Jul 14

jkhar says:

thanks oscarthegrouch

Ill take a look at this when I get home :smile

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

just remember

the first screw is the pilot air mixture screw and the second is the idle tickover screw .....

which has got me thinking if it was ok before and you said it hadn't been serviced it could be air filter dirty or some dirt in the carb (as previously mentioned) which is causing this to happen .... probably well worth cleaning the carb out and fitting an inline fuel filter at the same time ... about two quid from a bike shop

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Barney Fartpants

Sep 07

jkhar

You mentioned that it was like the choke had moved position. Just a thought but if the little steel ball in this pic was missing, that could be a possibility.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices