Skip to content

Ask an Expert Highway robbery Insurance scam. Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Highway robbery Insurance scam.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

canberra27

Aug 12

canberra27 says:

Highway robbery Insurance scam.

Comment invited please. I've had a policy through Devitt insurance with the cover being provided by Chaucer insurance. I sold my bike after having the policy out for four months I rang them to cancel the policy and Devitt wanted £50 to cancel it and Chaucer wanted £34. So a total of £84 when the policy was only for £125 in total. Surely they can't get away with this. How does it cost £50 to cancel a policy? Do all Insurance companies charge £50 to cancel?

Thanks for all your advice, I cancelled the policy but I think it's another financial services robbery/scam. I wonder if when enough people complain it will turn out to be another PPI refunding scandle. Regards to all.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 69 days ago (16 July 2014 21:15)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

insurance

Ok you have broken a contract with your ins company via Devitt ins brokers, there should only be one fee to Devitt  and not Chaucer unless it`s in the small print or explained over the phone at the start date.

I suggest you put your topic in LEGAL on here for Andrew, A.C.I.C.       

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Cancelling Insurance

Why not just just let it run and not cancel it, if within the remaining period you get another bike then just do a change of vehicle, I certainly would not pay any cancellation fee!!! Effectively the insurance company still have your cash for the years cover but now have no risk on the bike, seems to me they are quids in already!!!!!!!! (I am no expert by the way)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

fees

http://www.devittinsurance.com/privacy-policy/

Also if you don`t cancel and sell the bike on and is involved in an accident with no ins then the claim can be against your ins com and you. (read that somewhere).:shock: 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Insurance

Not cancelling the insurance is extremely bad advice.  If the policy is not cancelled and the bike involved in an accident, your insurers can be forced to pick up the bill - particularly if there is no other insurance cover on the bike.  . They will then pay out and recover their money from you on the basis that you allowed an unauthorised person to use the bike covered by your policy. 

If you sell a bike on you MUST cancel any insurance coverage that you have for it.     

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Ooooooooooops

That will be me told then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Insurance

You do not need to CANCEL the insurance when you sell a bike. BUT, you can get the insurance company to remove your bike reg/details from the policy and keep the policy running.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

details

That would cost £30 to change details,

anyway were all talking to ourselves.:wacko: 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Talking to ourselves

Jaffa, don't we get the most sensible answers that way? 

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

All in all

Insurance firms are C**nts

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

They

are indeed and the above regarding accidents with a previous, not lapsed insurance policy is true. You must cancel your policy.

This wondrous bit of legislation is brought to you by the EU.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices