Skip to content

Ask an Expert 600 vs 1000 sportsbike for commute Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > 600 vs 1000 sportsbike for commute

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

scottgsxr

Jul 14

scottgsxr says:

600 vs 1000 sportsbike for commute

Hi all!

I am looking to buy a new sportsbike and am trying to weigh up the financial benefits of running a 600cc vs 1000cc.

I do not own a car and use my bike all year round including my 30+mile daily commute, and at least one night a week a ride out.

I am currently running a GSXR 1000 K4 and have nothing but praise for it, about as practical as a superbike can be in my view.

Looking around I can't really see much difference in running costs between 600's and 1000's. For example, tax would be the same unless the bike is a 'true' 600, and the cost of insurance only differs by around £100-£150. Around ten quid a month in real terms.

Others assure me that as far as sportsbikes go a 600cc machine is only marginally more frugal as it needs to be revved harder, but surely when ridden sensibly there must be a big difference in mpg?

Also, is servicing any cheaper?

Aside from the initial cost of purchase is there any real point buying a supersport 600 or would I be best to stick with a 1000cc?

And yes, it does have to be a sportsbike, just my personal preference! And I'm not interested in 750's, or compromises like CBR600F's.

Thanks for any advice!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 123 days ago (21 July 2014 00:02)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Sports bike

What's wrong with the K4? Why do you want to sell it?

Reply to this Topic
scottgsxr

Jul 14

scottgsxr says:

It's not you K4, it's me!

There is nothing wrong with the K4, I just feel like a change.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

From

Watching Baron Von Grumble's Vlogs he says that one 1000cc 4 in line is like another.

Unless you were going for something completely mad like a S1000, I don't think there's much point.

A 600cc is unlikely to float your boat.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices