Skip to content

Discuss This Government launches motorcycle safety campaign General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Government launches motorcycle safety campaign

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Government launches motorcycle safety campaign

A radio campaign aimed at reducing the number of collisions at junctions between cars and motorcycles is launching today across the country. The THINK! radio campaign encourages drivers to take longer to look for motorcyclists after figures revealed that 30 bikers are killed or injured every day at junctions, Road Safety Minister Robert Goodwill has announced.The ‘Didn’t See’ campaign will run...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 94 days ago (21 July 2014 11:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RaleighWisp

Jul 14

RaleighWisp says:

getting a bit predictable?

at the risk of being strung up by my fellow bikers is telling motorists to 'look / think again' the best that can be done? can't bikers ourselves also do something? The last sentence makes most sense

when I approach a T junction I (1) move out towards the centre line so I can see the motorist better and vice versa (2) slow down a bit until I'm certain they have seen me / made eye contact (3) keep looking and control my speed so that if they do still pull out I've got some chance of stopping / avoiding them. I also drive a car and if I'm at a T juntion on a national speed limit road and a biker is doing 60 or more near to the kerb and putting 100% faith in me seeing them and not pulling out......................In anticipation of the backlash go ahead shoot me down but there is only ever one outcome when a bike plows into the side of a car at any speed and relying on mototists 'seeing me' even though I may be legally right isn't going to stop me dying

not sure if any of the above is covered now during bike training / licence taking. it wasn't when i started riding. it was taught to me a few years ago when i came back to biking after 20 years away and had a couple of advanced training sessions. best money I spent

and no I don't ride a BMW trailie or read 'RIDE'. I've got a speed triple and old cbr600 for track days

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

@raliegh

very good advice mate, people assume because they are legal its safe, car drivers are getting worse , my rule is think everyone wants to knock you off.

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

@raliegh

very good advice mate, people assume because they are legal its safe, car drivers are getting worse , my rule is think everyone wants to knock you off.

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

Smidsy at junctions

The problem as I see it is many drivers just don't want to stop at all at junctions, it's too much trouble to dip the clutch and apply the brakes, it slows them down too much, they want to go straight through.  Audi's BMW's and other performance cars and high end 4x4s seem to be the worst. If you think it's bad on a motorbike try a pushbike, they don't see you at all, common remark is " Where did you come from?" as if it's your fault, not an apology. Sure road positioning and anticipation can help, but the onus must rest with the car driver- They have to stop and look, and that takes consideration for other road users, which some of them just don'.t have.

Reply to this Topic
Codezombie

Jul 14

Codezombie says:

I also keep an eye on the wheels of the car, which way they are pointing is usually a useful indicator of which way the car is going to turn out of the junction. Covering the brakes as well can save a few precious fractions of a second. 

I generally don't noticably slow down as a rule, as I don't want the driver to think they are ok to pull out because I'm slowing. Besides you'll never make eye contact with the pillock who pulls out on you. I can, however, see your point about acting extra defensivly around a driver you cannot make eye contact with.

As ever, always assume that everyone on the road is out to kill you, a little paranoia goes a long way... :)

Reply to this Topic
Codezombie

Jul 14

Codezombie says:

"The problem as I see it is many drivers just don't want to stop at all at junctions, it's too much trouble to dip the clutch and apply the brakes, it slows them down too much, they want to go straight through. Audi's BMW's and other performance cars and high end 4x4s seem to be the worst."

Lorries at roundabout as well. I remember about 10 years back when lorries could be trusted (sort of) on the roads, now I swear its a rare day if a lorry actually stops at a roundabout when there is oncomming traffic, I had to blip my throttle this morning just to ensure there was a decent margin of safety between me and the lorry coming onto the roundabout.

Reply to this Topic
PENWELL

Jul 08

PENWELL says:

Junctions

Junctions should have a 'STOP'/'HALT' sign at all junctions  very much like they have in the USA. It can be a bit tiresome, but better giving you a few seconds to see if the road is clear to cross. Also, it has been proved that there is an invisible zone directly in front of your vehicle. This is because your attention is drawn to movement on the left and to the right of you looking out for approaching traffic. Another aspect is in making cars with improved cabin safety reduces the viewing area because of  thicker roof pillars.

Reply to this Topic
dozyhonda

Jun 06

dozyhonda says:

Good point Penwell

The idea of Stop/Halt signs at every junction sounds a good idea. Having been a biker for 40 years I always sit on the bike before I pull away for the first time that day and say to myself that every other driver on the road is a complete numpty and they are ALL out to kill me. I will repeat that mantra quite often. Sad to say the numptys on the road have risen exponentially with the increase in traffic. Car drivers have far to may distarctions inside their tin shell....radio, kids, mobile phone etc to be able to concentrate properly. The one time I tried using an intercom on a bike with my wife I found it distracted me. You have to concentrate 100%  for 100% of the time you are riding abnd that in itself is very tiring. More cops in cars and on bikes would be a great help in stopping the idiots!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

"made eye contact "

"I made eye contact but the [fine chap or chapette] pulled out anyway!"

I've heard this far too often.  You're only kidding yourself if you think that because someone is looking in your direction that they've actually seen you.  We're social monkeys, it's a hard habit to break, but I now only look at the front wheels.  It's the vehicle that'll mash me up, not the driver's face.

Reply to this Topic
plumbgod

Jan 14

plumbgod says:

Self preservation is key

Where i live the predominant demographic is 70 + so when i ride near or past an opening or junction i'm already covering the brakes and clutch, having already throttled off, expecting the worst. If you drive like everyone else is an idiot you'll be ok is my guess because most are, at least where i live in south devon.

If its not a gereatric barely able to walk non compus mentis maestro driver its the nob head boy racers up and down the beach in their 1.2 litre corsa's getting up to maybe thirty in between the bumps, talking and texting on their phones, completely oblivious to anyone around them. Ride safe back safe

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices