Skip to content

Ask an Expert Turning right into a sideroad Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Turning right into a sideroad

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Elloryp

Jul 14

Elloryp says:

Turning right into a sideroad

Hi all,

So the time is finally upon me, my mod one is on Monday then Wednesday (assuming I pass mod 1) I have my mod two.
Something I'm struggling with however is road position when taking a right into a side road. My instructor has barked at me a couple of times for getting my position wrong and I guess I'm just not getting it.
I have hired a 125 to practice on between now and then, it's helping with my road confidence and I had a good ride earlier today but an oncoming truck did beep at me as I was set up to take a right side road, I thought I was in the right place but maybe not? Or maybe he was just making sure I'd seen him. I don't know, I just want to be first of all safe in the road and second... Pass my test :)
I just wondered if anyone knows of any good resources? Maybe videos or online literature that covers right turn into side roads that I could check out?

Many thanks in advance
Ellz

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 69 days ago (24 July 2014 23:05)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Have a look

On youtube. If roadcraft Nottingham have any useful vids I'd watch them :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

right turn

Why not follow the instructor to see what he/she does.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

road positioning.

I always make sure you cover your self, so I tend to be just to the left (about 8inches away from the centre markings, with steering slightly turned towards the turning you are intending. Leave enough room to pass on your inside for traffic in the same lane.  Around here our lanes are very narrow so tend to  avoid them this time of year (harvesting season).  I may be incorrect but thats the way i was taught...good luck btw..

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices