Skip to content

Discuss This Indian Roadmaster revealed New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Indian Roadmaster revealed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Indian Roadmaster revealed

This weekend will see Indian – America’s first motorcycle company – unveil the latest addition to their growing Chief range, a full-spec tourer named Roadmaster. Intended as the new benchmark in V-twin luxury tourers, it will make its public debut on August 2 at the 74th annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, alongside a new Victory (both firms are owned by Polaris...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 85 days ago (28 July 2014 16:06)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Onthemoney

Jun 14

Onthemoney says:

Indian and Victory

I passed an interesting hour last week listening to the Harley top brass talk about their Q2 figures or should I say their disappointment with them.

The Banks and financial institutions then asked questions, of which a number were concerning the "competition".

Having listened to these broadcasts for a good few years now, this was the first one where "competition" was mentioned more than once and not light-heartedly.

If both the new Victory and Indian bikes you have featured are as good on two wheels as they look in print/on the site, then I can fully understand the Harley and financiers concerns.

Perhaps this is the reason why Harley are so intent on buying back as much of their stock as possible. Will they go back into private hands? I think its a case of when and not will they !

OTM

Reply to this Topic
Arrow

Aug 02

Arrow says:

Watch out H.D..

Indian and Victory are giving the Americans exactly what the Japanese gave the British and the rest of the world to some extent all those years back, a bike they recognise but with the latest modern design, technology and reliability.

In my opinion it is the engine primarily which although denotes the character of the Harley Davidson is now turning into its Achilles Heal. No amount of tinkering around the edges of the Harley engine is going to change the fact that compared to the Indian and Victory engines they are way past their sell by date both in design and technology and great emphasis is being put on this very point by the Polaris bikes sales people when comparing their machines against those of Harley Davidson.

Harley Davidson's task now I believe is to come up with a completely re-vamped engine using the latest design and engineering technology to improve reliability, servicing and maintenance costs but somehow do so without losing their trade mark sound effect and character.

A tough one.

Reply to this Topic
scotsmaninusa

Apr 10

dealers

at the moment if you buy one in Los Angeles,the nearest dealer is 7 hours away in San Fran or 5 hours in Vegas.I don't think Harley will be quaking just yet.There is a dealer going to open So Cal as I write but who's gonna buy this bike with no back up and spend well over $20 grand for the privilage.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

"...but who's gonna buy this bike with no back up..."

The lack of dealers is only a short term problem - the new Indians have sold well enough that Polaris will have plenty of applicants for new franchises.

As to who would buy this bike in the Colonies - anyone who wants a traditional V-twin full dresser but is fed up with all the social baggage that comes with a Harley-Davidson, and the arrogant attitude of so many of the dealers.

Reply to this Topic
stevecase29465

Jul 14

The pictures are superb but

If they are as well put together as the pictures suggest then they must be something to behold but I have no knowledge of what they are actually like.

They need to sort dealers and recovery out though as people who pay £20,000 for a bike are not going to wait 3hrs for Bob to turn up with a screwdriver!

Reply to this Topic
yaki

Apr 13

yaki says:

You could not be more wrong ARROR Indian and Victory talk alot about the engine because the think it is the only ace they have over Harley.The Harley motor makes good power for the type of bike its in you do not need any more .

Reply to this Topic
Arrow

Aug 02

Arrow says:

If the power of the Harley engine was sufficient then why do so many people upgrade the engines and its horse power and why do H.D. produce so many performance kits. When I owned one (Electra Glide bought 2nd hand with a stage two conversion) virtually everyone I knew had theirs modified.

What I am getting at though is the Victory engine at least is far easier to service and maintain with fewer components and with a much more modern design leading to a 22% per annum reduction in servicing costs according to one US web site on the segment leader - H.D. presumably - not to mention superior reliability. That 22% will represent a lot of fuel (gas) at the pumps for high mileage riders.

There are some very good engine comparisons on YouTube with, yes admittedly Victory sales people and engineers, giving a breakdown of the Victory and Harley engines which demonstrates the number of differences and it's quite impressive from a design and engineering point of view.

BMW have, re-invented if you like, the Boxer engine with a far more modern design as well as using the latest technology making it easier to service and repair plus increasing the power and its economy and that is basically what I am saying H.D. has to do with its engine. Unlike BMW though Harley has plenty of people aping its engine configuration so probably has a more pressing need to do this.

Reply to this Topic
Onthemoney

Jun 14

Onthemoney says:

Piglet2010

You hit it on the head:
"the social baggage that comes with a Harley-Davidson".

Its like riding with a bunch learners and a teacher back and front of you riding with HOG these days "Don't do this, don't do that" and make sure you ride the same as we do as you have a "HOG Patch" on yer back".  Passed their sell by date, as are most of the riders in HOG!

Reply to this Topic
Arrow

Aug 02

Arrow says:

I wouldn’t go quite that far, admittedly there are some who are in it just for the show and patch and who can spend 25 – 30 grand at he drop of a hat for their latest whim but most of those I know and befriended are all year round bikers and who have found a lifestyle that suits them and most often their partners those that have them. 

As regard rules and regulations, well when you have 30 or 40 riders on a ride out as we often had and in a pretty close convoy you need some discipline otherwise you cause chaos. You will also find that nowadays due to health and safety, insurance and potential lawsuits officially organised club ride outs have to be disciplined or face the legal consequences; and that applies to any “official” ride out believe it or not. 

I personally was never into all that leather paraphernalia when I had mine as commuting to work every day on a bike at the time I used, and have used, textile clothing more or less since it came out but each to their own.  

You have to admit though that seeing 30 or 40 Harleys on a ride out is, and sounds, far more impressive than 30 or 40 of any other make or all other makes put together for that matter.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Social Baggage

Here in the colonies, we have weekend pretend 1%MC members - they dress as if they are in an outlaw gang, and ride around on H-D's with straight pipes.  During the week, they wear suits and drive luxury cars to work, and maybe a round of golf at the country club after work.  While it sells a lot of bike for H-D, it also turns many people off motorcycles in general.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices