General Motorcycle Safety General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Motorcycle Safety

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Ninja250rCanada

Jul 14

Motorcycle Safety

A few friends and I have been working on an idea to help prevent motorcycle rear collision accidents. We are building a device to help warn riders when a vehicle is approaching too quickly from behind, as well as help catch the approaching vehicle's attention when triggered and encourage them to slow down.

In a nutshell, it works like this. On the one hand, a mounted sensor on the back of the bike will detect when a vehicle is approaching to quickly, then notifying the rider via a warning light from the dash/gauge cluster powerful enough to be noticed without taking your eyes off the road. On the other hand, once the device is triggered, the emergency lights (or additional warning lights attached on the bike rear) will activate, helping to catch the approaching vehicle's attention and encourage them to slow down.

If you have an opinion on this, I'd be happy to hear it. Also, we're mostly concerned with getting your opinion on the idea in general - don't worry about the technical aspects as of yet.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 53 days ago (29 July 2014 07:45)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

How about ...

..if the sensor, instead of activating hazard lights, activated a rear facing RPG launcher ? :winkie: 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Rear end shunt

A laudable intent but the idea has flaws.

If a driver cannot see a motorcycle and rider directly in front of them no amount of flashing lights is likely to help.  A device that lets you know you are about to be shunted is probably ill advised.  The expectation that you are about to be clobbered will cause you to tense up.  Would you not be at less risk of injury of you are relaxed? 

From a technical viewpoint how would you deal with the issue that, if the sensor is set to detect the car far enough away to make any difference it will be going off all the time when riding in traffic?   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Motorcycle Safety.

I think the increasing reliance on electronic sensors and microprocessors is a shame when people were born with perfectly adequate biological versions which they choose not to use. But I'd like an ejector seat so let's have it.

:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Part of staying safe on a bike....

is being aware of things around you ........ using mirrors is the normal way to check what's coming from behind........ although I suppose any help is always welcome.....

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

I would suspected

in the next ten to fifteen years all road vehicles will become aware of each other and will all space each other and not allow one vehicles to stray too close to another or two close to the centre or edge of the road, each vehicle's onboard computer will talk to each other and make judgements. The technology is already here, it's just a matter of time before all first world countries start implementing it and making vehicle manufacturers make it mandatory  :upset::smile

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Modify it

to activate a cutting laser that punctures the radiator of a tailgating vehicle, and you will have something.

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

Well aimed

shot gun blast at the car tires from the rear should do the trick nicely. Only needs to be on one-side and the car will slew away from the bike.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I had

a car do this to me recently. I had a sensor which was active only during the window when I was potentially going to be rear ended. It was called a mirror and my eyes. I simply stopped where I wanted to stop but was ready to fly out of the way if required.

A device to warn me of such things will stop me doing this, just as a reversing sensor stopped my bloody dad from looking as he was reversing so when it failed, he hit something. We need less gadgets and better training. A sensor won't have you prepared to act, it'll just tell you as it's too late in that circumstance and frankly will make rely on it. Just like some people rely on ABS or traction control. Whilst those two are useful when used properly (as a safety net to compliment safe riding), a failure with reliance means you die. Looking means you're considering the risks and are prepared to act. To fail to look means it will take you unaware and remove your ability to react properly - a sensor which warns you means you're going to stop looking.

Also, technically speaking I feel the cost of this device will be very prohibitive given it has to calculate speed, distance, vector and then be developed to anticipate scenarios where those three elements combine to make an accident likely. It will still be inferior to a MK1 eyeball.

EDIT: these ideas of turning it into a point defence system are quite good though. I like. I would consider a directed EMP pulse to disable the target and cause enough engine braking to slow it down and increase the available reaction time. I would also consider a shotgun blast (or something similar to the trophy system on tanks) to eliminate the driver.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Volvo cyclist and pedestrian collision avoidance (among others).

As kcmc said, the technology is already here. In fact it will be in the cars, not the bike. Sorry but you're too late.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices