Skip to content

YAMAHA New Yamaha R1 on the way R1

You are in... Forums > YAMAHA > R1 > New Yamaha R1 on the way

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

New Yamaha R1 on the way

Yamaha is just three months away from unveiling a completely new YZF-R1 superbike that it hopes will have the same class-defining impact the original 1998 model had when it was launched. The new bike retains the basic engine design of the current model, but it is understood to share almost nothing else with the current bike as it attempts to take...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 116 days ago (31 July 2014 11:19)

Post a message in R1

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

It Looks very Compact

Either that or the Rider is 8ft tall......... 

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

Takes me back...

I remember seeing a shot like that about the original R1.  I had a Thunderace at the time and this new R1 was about half the size.

Reply to this Topic
RageRider

Jan 11

RageRider says:

Clone

Looks like an R6 meets RSV4 meets S1000RR. I'm sure it'll be great but they're all just copying each other in terms of looks which is a little disappointing.

Be nice for someone to take a risk, be original and turn things on their head a little bit. Suzuki often come out with marmite designs so I'll be interested to see the new GSXR although it's 50-50 if it's a rotter or looks identical to it's predecessors I imagine.

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

Mutton dressed as lamb?

Dear Yamaha, when the bike is shown to the world, don't let it be just another heavily dressed up R1 we already know.......

Would be good to see the S version with Ohlins, Brembo's, carbon, etc, and capable of taking on the Italians in the looks dept, if nothing else.......

Yamaha's going to have to come up with something special...An M1R race bike clone, is needed, URGENTLY!!!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Onthemoney

Jun 14

Onthemoney says:

What more can be done?

There is always progress, there has to be otherwise we would be using wooden logs to move around on, but; how mauch more can be done to a motorcycle that has already reached a peak of engineering?

I can remember my dad sitting me on the new "Four cylinder Honda 4  in 1975, Outrageous colours, fab engine but being a shorty my little legs could only just get over the masive seat.... so then what? Along came the Fireblade, another revolution in bike engeineering, then the R1 and K5. Since then its been pretty much cosmetic and the sales have reacted to that issue. "its all been done before and where elese is there to go?".

We wait ro see the "new swinging arm" may look like Wow I can't wait, and there is a fair bet that its almost 1/2 second quicker (so?) than the previous models in various tests. Cosmetically it may look better (except the chimney for an exhaust of course) so what else can be done, its all been done before.

The speed limit is still 70mph of course officer......................

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

I'm glad Yamaha are keeping the cross-plane engine I don't think people appreciate how good it is. A bit more hp at the top end and with all the grunt it's got low-down would make for an incredible engine. Sharpen up the handling and you've got the perfect bike... for me anyway.

Should also make the Superbike championships interesting as well.

Maybe Honda and Suzuki will join the party.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices