Skip to content

Discuss This Testing time for teens General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Testing time for teens

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Testing time for teens

Stricter motorcycle licence rules have caused a massive drop in young riders taking their tests. New learner rider rules introduced in January last year stopped under-19s from riding anything bigger than a 125cc bike, even if they pass a motorcycle test where previously they could take a step up to a larger-capacity bike once the test was passed. Recent figures show...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 46 days ago (31 July 2014 15:04)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

Ban,,,

Good luck getting them to change the rules, this is a ban on motorcycles by the back door.

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Youngsters are screwed getting into anything price wise. 

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

The problem is you have to argue again and again for your whole life to retain your rights because the powers that be are determined to take them away. And they'll win in the end because actually they don't think they represent us. So they'll stop green laning, and people getting bike licenses... they'll send bikers to jail for months for being a couple of inches over a double white line (remember that one) They'll say we're causing accidents when using bus lanes despitre the complete lack of evidence, and they'll pass laws without evidence in the EU (which is illegal) retricting and controling our presence on the road. 

They don't like us and they want rid of us.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

... and yea, it has been a bad day.

Reply to this Topic
Iknoweverything

Sep 13

Well, I'm not surprised to hear this at all.

The new licence system has done nothing to raise the skill level of the most vulnerable users of PTWs. It simply makes it less worthwhile for them to bother woth any training at all. In fact, £100-£150 for a CBT every two years is all it takes to stay legal and let's face it, what incentive is there to do anything else at 17-19?

There is nothing wrong with stepped licencing but the UK government have blindly assumed the position of re-testing (3 tests?) for each stage, at massive cost to the rider whereas other member states have taklen the view that an assessed ride is all that is required to reach the next licence stage. The really unfair and unjustifiable part is that the new licence rules exclude girls and shorter or less strong riders. Since when has a minimum bikeweight of 180kg (or more) been a pre-requsite for a fair test of rider skills?

Back to the younger riders, it may just mean a few years of accident statistics are required before the powers that be realise they have simply encourage perpetual CBT riding and done NOTHING for road safety in this group.

Reply to this Topic
Kawasakifreak1

Aug 11

Painted into a corner

evilamnesiac +1

What surprises me is that govts haven't banned motorcycles in their current form already - just a matter of time I guess.

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

They couldn't...

If they came out and tried to ban motorcycles outright, there would be too much uproar, so it is slipped under the radar as 'stepped training', just make it prohibitively expensive and difficult to get a license, once all the current bikers die, hey presto! you have your ban. If you complain they just wheel out the excuse of 'its for your own safety'. Anyone who tells you they are doing something 'for your own safety' is removing your right to weigh the risks and rewards of a course of action, worse, they are deciding you aren't capable of choosing and then grant themselves the power to decide for you. So once all the little pleasures in the life we enjoy are restricted because of their associated risks, we can all live longer lives, We won't, but it will certainly feel like longer.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Agreed, this is deliberate

Speculation: Brussels, by and large, hates bikes and wants to get rid of them, either de jure or de facto.

Fact: Whitehall has chosen to go over-and-above what was required by Brussels in both the 2nd and 3rd Driving License directives.

They even chose to spunk millions of pounds of tax money on doing so, when smarter nations just ignore the requirements and get handed token "fines", while their licenses remain as valid as ours.

And now we're in a situation that any idiot could have predicted would result in more essentially untrained young riders hooning around on L plates for at least 2 years instead of getting properly trained and tested.  And this idiot did predict it.

So, now what?  The number of KSI'd "unlicensed" young riders goes up, gasps of feigned horror, something must be done.  I know!  More testing!  More hoops to jump through!  That'll solve it, right?  That's the problem, that it's too easy to get on a bike.

Sooner or later we're going to lose soLo riding entitlement before passing a test, and then **** will get real.

Reply to this Topic
taz_of_tazmania

Nov 02

More than one problem here

Blame the government all you like but who is it that is saying t"eens wil only be able to ride a 125" like 125s are the last thing on earth you'd want to ride? 125s get a really bad press which, in turn, rubs off on impressionable teenagers. Make someting uncool and nobody wants it, despite how good it is. When with the Brit obsessoin with cubes come to an end? Perhaps, like some have implied, when all the old codgers have hung up their leathers or are pushing up dasies. We need more positive PR, people. Come on! In an age when people ride across the globe on mopeds who needs a road bike that does twice the national speed limit in 2nd gear?

Reply to this Topic
ChrisFatgit

Aug 14

ChrisFatgit says:

Young learners

I'm seeing deja vu here in some ways....though the fact that huge expenses come into the mix is different.

When I started riding, at sixteen as a learner you could ride up to a 250cc bike solo, or any size if it had a sidecar.

The 'cool' kids - the Mods - rode scooters, the largest of which (excepting a few German makes, which weren't cool anyway) could be ridden on L plates - Many of them didn't bother to take a test (they just took off the L plates when they carried their girlfriend on the back) then once old enough, at 17, they'd buy a car. There was no obvious difference between a learner bike and a 'proper' bike so they could all look 'cool'.

Those that rode bikes would try to get their test passed as quickly as possible, because they wanted a bike that would keep up with their mates....and not be marked out as lesser mortals by only riding little bikes.

The sidecar option for learners was also pretty popular as you could carry passengers in the chair while on L plates . (Solo learners could only carry a passenger who had a full bike licence - and the pillion seat of an outfit with L plates was also only available to full licence holding passengers.....Don't ask me why!)

Whichever kind of two wheeler you rode, you wouldn't be likely to be riding for more than a year on L plates.

The other option, a three wheeled car like a Reliant or a bubble car could be driven at sixteen, but a full licence holder (either car or motorcycle) had to sit alongside you unless the car had only a driver's seat. A few bikers owned three wheelers as well as bikes to keep girlfriends happy in the wet and cold, as they could be driven on a full bike licence back then.....I had an Isetta bubblecar, along with my 650 BSA café racer. I didn't bother with a car licence till I was 30.

I really despair for the young bikers of today....it really is too bloody difficult and expensive for them to get onto two wheels.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices