Ask an Expert Help sick DUCATI 999 Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Help sick DUCATI 999

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jimmy thomson

Aug 07

Help sick DUCATI 999

Hi help please got myself a great clean Ducati 999 just over a year ago with 10k on it. was told belts had been changed 6 or 7 months previous. But got them changed again including service, water, shims checked and adjusted, and iridium sparks. Ran great for a year. But a couple of months ago it cut out when I pulled the clutch in. But started 1st time and was ok for weeks. Then it started to splutter between 1 and 3 thou but went away. I went to get petrol a few weeks later it started spluttering again. Filled up with petrol put into gear and was really rough between 1 and 3 thou again but cut out. This happened several times but managed to get on my way. Still really rough until 3 to 4 thou then ran sweet. I booked into my local Ducati garage in edinbugh. He checked it on computer no fault codes found. They put standard plugs back in and it runs better. But not right does not idle right and cuts out now and then. Also when you shut throttle of at 3 thou it pops and farts and sometimes back fires? any ideas guys jimmy 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 48 days ago (31 July 2014 20:50)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

More info jimmy for the fuel injection experts on here,

Why fit iridium plugs?

What make/ octane/ fuel are you using and where from?

It sounds like water contaminated fuel to me.  

Reply to this Topic
jimmy thomson

Aug 07

sick ducati

Thought fitting iridium 1s Would make It go netter. Only use Shell Super unleaded. Talking about water front plug hole gets wer when raining but think thats because of front wheel spray. But not out often in Rain. Cheers 4 reply jimmy

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Ducati 999 what year?

Hi Jimmy Thomson

First thing you need to do is eliminate any chance of water being in the fuel and mostly injection system, if it was my bike I would run some methylated spirits through the system to absorb any water in the injectors before moving on to mechanical or electrical repairs, put about 150ml in the fuel tank then take it for a good run. See how it goes, then get back in touch. Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
jimmy thomson

Aug 07

sick ducati

Its a 2003 model. Thanks for info jimmy

Reply to this Topic
jimmy thomson

Aug 07

sick ducati

Its a 2003 model. Thanks for info jimmy

Reply to this Topic
jimmy thomson

Aug 07

sick ducati

Aug 07

Sick Ducati

Hi got my Ducati back a week ago with Standard plugs in. It Dose Run a Bit bettet nur idles low and cuts out It self . When you blip throtel It cuts out as well. I've tried a wee Bit of methalated spirits as someone suggested water in fuel. Also fuel injection cleaner and More recently octaine booster. As i had put super unleaded in. But now have put in Shell optimax. It Still Not very good below 3 thou. And if your on 3 thou you can feel It dritter and Miss a beat. Whats wrong with my glorious ducati :upset: Cheers jimmy

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

999 tps

Hi there, it sounds like the throttle position sensors are out of balance. Setting them up on a 999 is a real art with you needing to get hands into the airbox and onto a screw with yellow paint on it to balance the TPSs with the throttle closed, starting by removing the left air intake tube and setting the TPS to zero, winding the throttles right off, then fiddling with that yellow screw. I'd be inclined to quiz a few Ducati professionals to see if they know what you're talking about, then take it in for them to deal with.

Reply to this Topic
jimmy thomson

Aug 07

sick ducati

Hi Dabbsy thanks for info i will Quiz my local Ducati man. Really sick think It All started wen i out super unleaded petrol in. Ran perfect b4. I did put Shell optimax in b4 and and it seemed 2 run better. Then 4got and out super unleaded in Doh. Cheers jimmy

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Good luck and keep us posted

:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN