You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > 2012 zx10r/rear wheel play

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

zxstu

Aug 14

zxstu says:

2012 zx10r/rear wheel play

Hello, long time lurker here. I'm really hoping someone can help me.

I have a 2012 zx10r. The other day after a short run I noticed there was sideways movement in the rear wheel. I've not noticed any difference in handling, but when I grab the wheel with both hands I can move it side to side by about 1mm maximum.  I got someone who knows what they are doing to have a quick check and they said there was definitely a problem, but it wasn't the chain, wheel bearings or brakes, and the wheel wasn't loose.  They said it was coming from the linkage but needs to to be stripped down to find the exact problem.  I just ride the bike and TBH I'm a bit of a thicko when it comes to mechanics.  I'm starting to panic its something serious which will cost a boat load of money.  Could someone offer any further insight on this?  Or advice as to what it could be?  Any help would be greatly appreciated as "linkage" doesn't really give me much to go on; cost/seriousness/location etc?

Thanks.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 87 days ago (06 August 2014 15:56)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawaski ZX10R 2012

Hi ZXStu and welcome to the site:smile

If there is movement in the wheel then this would usually indicate a wheel bearing problem, but as you say you don't understand much mechanically I would suggest it could also be a wheel spacers put back incorrectly a worn spindle from a previous wheel change and run untightened, or even now the wheel may appear tight but in fact is only nipped up and not tight enough. But if it's causing you so much concern surely taking the bike to a motorcycle workshop will give you peace of mind. Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

P.S. is there any history with the bike? or was it bought new?

Reply to this Topic
zxstu

Aug 14

zxstu says:

bearings

Hi Kcmc.

Thanks for the advice.  It was an ex demo with 3 k miles.  Looked after apparently but obviously bound to have had the odd thrashing from test riders I suppose.  It's booked in next week but I'm just worrying about it and wondered if anyone else had experience of this.  I had the tyre replaced by a tyre company about four weeks ago which as you said lead me to think it wasn't done up tight enough or spacers.  A mechanic had a 5 minute look before booking in and said it was coming from further forward possibly linkage, which has confused and worried me.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
charlie79

Sep 13

charlie79 says:

wobble

Hi. Is it just the wheel that's moving or is it the swingarm as well? Worn swing arm bearings are highly unlikely at that mileage but if dodgy ones were fitted and slipped through QC any things possible. If not then basically what KCMC said. Good luck :smile:smile

Reply to this Topic
zxstu

Aug 14

zxstu says:

bearings

Thanks Charlie.

I felt the slight movement and assumed it was just the wheel.  I think the mechanic believes it's more than just the wheel that's wobbling -  sorry I should have stated that more clearly with first post.  Are swing arm bearings expensive?  Does anyone know why the mechanic would say linkage?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

play

It`s either wheel bearing play or axle play, swingarm play is sideways and  linkages is associated with up and down play in the monoshock linkages.  

Reply to this Topic
zxstu

Aug 14

zxstu says:

advice

Ok I've had the bike up on a paddock stand this lunchtime. I'm pretty sure the movement is sideways play in the swingarm.  I can't get any movement from the wheel (up and down, side to side or sliding) so all ok there.

The swingarm movement is tiny, I have to keep rocking it and don't think I feel it every time.  I bought the bike at 3k miles and its now done 4k.  If we assume this is too early for the bearings to go and that they are not faulty from new, what else could side to side movement in the swingarm be?  I assume this is not normal?  This is sort of my biggest fear.  Swingarm movement means the bike will have to be stripped down further; more time = more money.  I can get my head around wheel nuts, spindles (and bearings to a certain degree), but the intricacies of swingarms, linkages and suspension are an unknown to me.

Thanks all for your help so far.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawaski ZX10R 2012

Hi ZXStu again

So now it's not wheel but swing arm?

OK, so it could be it wasn't tightened up full at the factory but probably not!!(that's if it hasn't been removed earlier for some reason and not replaced and torqued up correctly)the shock linkage has nothing to do with movement at both the swing arm or wheel.As you said before you have little mechanical understanding so have it repaired at a motorcycle only work shop as this is a job you definitely wont be able to carry out without the correct tools and knowledge sorry. Good Luck

KCMC:smile

Reply to this Topic
zxstu

Aug 14

zxstu says:

KCMC

When I felt the play initially I was rocking/wobbling it from the wheel.    I think a combination of my untrained eye, and having the tyres changed 4 weeks ago also helped me jump to this conclusion.

Its booked in next week (no way would I contemplate doing this myself).  I'm just a bit worried and wondered if I could get any advice before hand (to prepare myself should it be bad news!).  Surely a bike this new it can't be that serious and something just needs tightening?

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

zx10

how much warranty do you get on new bikes? im guessing it is out or else you would have taken it back??

Reply to this Topic
zxstu

Aug 14

zxstu says:

Albert

I believe there is still some warranty left but I'd have to check. If its something serious then I will go back to them, if not I will just pay it as I live a long way from where I bought the bike.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices