Skip to content

Ask an Expert GZ 125 Marauder Friction Zone Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > GZ 125 Marauder Friction Zone

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Saxondale

Aug 14

Saxondale says:

GZ 125 Marauder Friction Zone

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to biking so glad to be here to pick up some useful hints and tips about...well everything really.  First off the bat - I've bought a Suzuki GZ 125 Marauder to pootle around on in-between DAS lessons and I've noticed the bite point when releasing the clutch is really far out. My fingers are almost fully extended before the clutch reaches the friction zone, and my concern is that this will affect my slow maneuvers. The bike didn't come with a manual, so I was wondering if there was a way to adjust the friction zone on the clutch.

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 112 days ago (06 August 2014 18:40)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mirloXXbob

Mar 14

mirloXXbob says:

Hi Saxondale

I'm not familiar with the model but unless it's a hydraulic clutch (not likely on a 125), you should have two freeplay adjustments at the cable. If it's engaging late you may have too little freeplay. First adjust the play at the lever on the engine case cover. This lever attaches to a pivot shaft which has an eccentric at the end inside the case. This moves a push rod which disengages the clutch when you pull the lever at the handlebar. There should be a lock nut or two holding the cable to a bracket on top of the case. Loosen the lock nuts and turn them until you get about 5mm of play, then tighten the nut(s) to hold that setting.

Next adjust the play at the handlebar lever. There's a finger nut you loosen and then turn the hollow screw that the cable rides in and adjust the freeplay there. Turning the screw in will increase freeplay and turning it out will decrease. Try about 5mm there too although some bikes require more or maybe slightly less. It's best to have a manual with illustrations as this would clarify what I'm trying to say.

If you have too much freeplay your clutch may not disengage completely and the bike will try to creep forward at a stop. If you have too little the clutch may not completely engage and may slip, especially under full throttle. Either of these conditions will cause the clutch to wear out faster.

I hope this has been helpful.

Reply to this Topic
Saxondale

Aug 14

Saxondale says:

Thanks

That's a great help thanks. I viewed a video on YouTube here, which I think demonstrates what you're saying. I'll have a tinker with it tomorrow and report back.

Thanks again!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Saxondale

Aug 14

Saxondale says:

Much Better.....

Hi there,

Just a quick update. I followed your instructions and the clutch is a lot easier to control now. Slow speed control and gear changes are a lot easier and smoother.

Thanks again mirloXXbob!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices