Skip to content

Ask an Expert Suzuki Marauder GZ125 spluttering/cutting out Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Suzuki Marauder GZ125 spluttering/cutting out

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Sparrows

Aug 14

Sparrows says:

Suzuki Marauder GZ125 spluttering/cutting out

I wonder if anyone could give me a hand diagnosing this problem. I'm unlucky enough to be on my third 125 within a year, having had to get rid of a couple as the problems cost more to fix then they were worth. At the moment I have a GZ125 and it's not without it's faults. 

At the moment it's tending to hate third gear and when I try to change it up from first (about 10mph) to 3rd (About 25mph) it will intermittently begin to splutter and drastically loose power or just shut down altogether. After a couple of minutes it may start again although sometimes the battery will just click. So far I have changed the battery (about a week ago), firmed up the rectifier connection, fully cleaned the carb, changed the spark plugs, adjusted the valves, changed the old drippy fuel tap and the gasket as it was leaking and the oil more than once in the last month but still the problem persists.

Two possible issues maybe the fact that after a drive or at turning on the voltage is at 13.6 but as it revs it falls to 12.5. But then the battery will show the 13.6 after returning to idle. Also, when changing the oil, a spring and threadless bolt fell out the engine. I've looked at manual and have no idea where it came from (picture attached).

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 53 days ago (09 August 2014 22:54)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

GZ125

Welcome Sparrows, sounds like a good battery but you have a charging issue, it could be the generator/alternator or the regulator/rectifier. Pics, upload same pic twice 1 and 2 for these foreign bodies. 

Reply to this Topic
Sparrows

Aug 14

Sparrows says:

Gz125 spluttering

Thanks for the reply.

Annoyingly my last bike also had a charging issue and went through two rectifiers and five batteries. I also forgot to mention that on this bike, when hitting a bump it with cut out for about ten seconds or so. Also, it's taken to backfiring when it splutters, making a loud popping sound and then usually turning off. Is that related do you think?

How do you think those foreign bodies ended up in there? Strange I thought.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

spluttering /hitting a bump

It could be a faulty earth connection from the battery to the frame, try testing with the multi/meter black (com -) probe on the bike frame metal and not on the battery - terminal when revving. Also where`s the pics?  

Reply to this Topic
Sparrows

Aug 14

Sparrows says:

GZ125 spluttering/cutting out

Sorry Jaffa, been trying to access this on my ipad and it's really buggy when attaching photos and writing replies.

Attached the picture of what dropped out the bottom of my oil reservoir. Hope it attached properly. 

Reply to this Topic
Sparrows

Aug 14

Sparrows says:

Photo didn't attach

Linked the picture as it doesn't seem to have attached again:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/121rockin/photo-4.jpg

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

foreign bodies

Looks like you`ve removed the wrong oil drain plug,

the parts are for finding/selecting neutral.

http://images.powersportsnetwork.com/fiche/images/Suzuki/1980/Motorcycles/2083_14.gif

17 + 19 in the pic.

Reply to this Topic
Sparrows

Aug 14

Sparrows says:

Multi Meter Checks

Hi Jaffa,

My multimeter finally came and i've checked the voltage. At idle it is still reading 14.10 and when revved it falls to twelve. I also tried putting the black probe on the frame but it yielded no reading. I guess that means the earth connection is fine. Is there any good way to check the alternator and rectifier?

Thanks

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

charging system

Have a look here, Sparrows.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+test+motorcycle+charging+system+

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

earth

The frame (metal not paint) is earth, why have you no reading? 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Sparrows

Are you placing the black probe end on bare metal as Jaffa asks?

With multimeter set to measure Ohms put the red probe to the black lead of the battery, then make sure you get good clean contact with the metal of the frame. 
Next you can then place the black probe to the clean engine casings and see if you get a reading from that. 
This will give you information as to whether you have a good earth circuit or not.
If you get a negative result then undo all earth contact points one at a time and clean the two contact surfaces to ensure a good earth point between the two.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices