You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > 2007 Kawasaki ER6F Electrics

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

craiggingell

Aug 14

craiggingell says:

2007 Kawasaki ER6F Electrics

I've got an ER6F and until now it has been very reliable. I commute in all weathers and it has been bulletproof.

After recent heavy rain and lack of use (3 days without being run and stored outdoors uncovered) it struggled to start.
On the 4th attempt it suddenly dropped all electrical power and hasnt shown signs of life since.
Some people have suggested it might be the battery but the loss of power was instant, almost like someone had hit the kill switch (no, I have checked that) but I would expect battery issues to be more gradual?
Anyone any thoughts?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 69 days ago (14 August 2014 10:22)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

electrics

Welcome craig*******, outdoors uncovered you should be shot.

Try to locate the battery and check the terminals too and from it. The red lead should lead you to the main fuse.

It`s possible that rain/water has gone into the ignition switch or somebody trying to steal it causing it to short out.

Have you a multi/meter?

Reply to this Topic
craiggingell

Aug 14

craiggingell says:

electrics

thanks Jaffa,

I've just moved house and the garage is full of "stuff" so the bike got left outside, although having said that its spent every day since I bought it last November outside and suffered no problems to date.
I dont have a multimeter but I'm going to buy a battery charger. Even if this problem isnt the battery it doesnt hurt to invest in a charger.
I'll try the fuse, thanks.
It was very strange that it tried to start up a few times and then instantly lost power

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
charlie79

Sep 13

charlie79 says:

leccy

It would be worth checking the battery terminals (and other connection for that matter) are clean, tight and not suffering from corrosion. Its not uncommon for the terminals to get a gradually reducing contact area due to the above problems and eventually the current will over load it and burn out the connection altogether causing total power loss. You may even find if you leave it a couple of hours to cool that you regain lights etc even if not the ability to start the bike. Hopefully a good clean up and tighten of the connection will solve your problem, if not then you're more likely looking at the issues Jaffa mentioned! :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
craiggingell

Aug 14

craiggingell says:

Electrics

Cheers guys,

I've charged the battery and still getting no power of any kind. I've checked all the fuses and they all seem good. My local garage are checking my battery condition for me (free) but I think it may need a visit to the bike doctor.
On the plus side the garage has now been cleared so it shouldnt happen again. 
I've cleaned contacts etc and all seems fine.
I'll have to see what the garage say, they should be discouraged from overcharging as they are the ones that sold me the bike less than 12months ago.

Reply to this Topic
craiggingell

Aug 14

craiggingell says:

result

For anyone interested the result was corrosion in the starter relay. £80 all in to include recovery and an hours labour so cant complain.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

interested

We are, thanks for the conclusion. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN