Tech 3 never contemplated Cal Crutchlow return
21 July 2014 12:01
Cal Crutchlow’s former Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad boss Herve Poncharal has said it would have been a mistake to try and re-sign the British rider for the 2015 MotoGP world championship.
The 28-year-old ended intense speculation about his future when he confirmed he has taken up an option to remain with Ducati next season.
Crutchlow had held talks with Suzuki and Honda, but despite a tough start to his Ducati career that has seen him collect just three top 10 finishes in the opening nine races, he will stay with Italian Andrea Dovizioso.
Dovizioso too committed his future to Ducati last weekend when he announced a new two-year contract extension during the World Ducati Week celebrations in San Marino.
Poncharal though believes it would have been wrong for his French-based squad and for Crutchlow to have pondered a surprise reunion in 2015.
Poncharal gave Crutchlow his big MotoGP break back in 2011 and after a tough rookie season, the Isle of Man-based rider went on to record six podiums and two pole positions.
Tech 3 helped Crutchlow become Britain’s most successful rider in 2013 since late legend Barry Sheene and he formed a close personal and professional relationship with Poncharal.
Poncharal told MCN: “Some people in the paddock kept saying to me ‘why don’t you take him back?’ I have never thought about it for one second and I think it would be a big mistake for Cal and for us. Last year he decided, and I completely agree with him, that three years with a satellite bike he did the maximum that he could do with the package he had. It is a bit tough at the moment but I still think he made the right decision and I think it would be a mistake for us to take him back and for him to want to return. I speak almost every single week with Cal but it was not my intention or his to be together again.”
For an exclusive interview with Crutchlow on his decision to stay with Ducati, see the July 23 issue of MCN.