Silverstone WSB: Rea braves tricky conditions to take race win
04 August 2013 12:59
Pata Honda rider Jonathan Rea braved changing conditions during the first WSB race at Silverstone today to take his first victory of 2013.
The start was delayed after rain began to fall, but the race eventually got underway on a dry track.
Title contender Tom Sykes started from the second row, but moved in to the lead on lap four and was looking comfortable when rain started to fall at one end of the circuit.
The tricky conditions bunched the top eight together and Rea pounced on the opportunity to take to the front.
Rea was untouchable in the damp conditions and stretched enough of a lead to take the win by three seconds despite conditions improving drastically towards the end of the race.
Eugene Laverty initially struggled in the tricky conditions, but managed to work his way up to second on the final lap after conditions improved.
Fixi Crescent Suzuki rider Leon Camier was another rider who made the most of the conditions, finishing third.
Sykes struggled in the conditions and could only manage an 11th place finish. Sylvain Guintoli again leads the championship after finishing fourth.
1. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 37'16.058
2. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 37'19.131
3. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 37'19.538
4. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 37'19.666
5. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 37'20.198
6. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 37'21.717
7. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 37'22.501
8. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 37'26.602
9. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 37'30.075
10. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 37'30.225
11. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 37'30.238
12. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 37'42.594
13. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 37'59.619
14. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 38'02.431
15. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 38'49.682
16. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 39'26.033
17. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 38'38.584
RT. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 26'04.504