German WSB: Davies Dominates Pre-Superpole Qualifying
31 August 2013 10:24
Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet) upped the pace to an unrivalled level in the second regulation qualifying session at the Nürburgring in Germany to enter Superpole as the fastest rider. His 1’54.223 lap time was fully 0.422 seconds better than the next quickest rider, Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing) at the BMW’s home circuit.
Davies was around a second faster than the regular lap record, doubling up his first day kudos as fastest rider and is still using race tyres at this stage of the weekend. Now he will aim to beat Max Biaggi’s track best of 1’53.855, which Biaggi set last year, when the qualifying tyres arrive for Superpole later this afternoon.
Loris Baz was, unusually, the fastest official KRT Kawasaki rider, going third on the dummy grid at one of his favourite circuits.
Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) placed fifth, one behind the privateer Althea Aprilia of Davide Giugliano, but usual top qualifier Tom Sykes (KRT) is sixth going into Superpole qualifying later today. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing) placed eighth, Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) ninth and Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) 12th.
After a crash early in yesterday’s session, Carlos Checa (Ducati Alstare) was unable to make up for it today and lost his final qualifying chance so he misses out on Superpole, and will start each race from 18th on the grid. His team-mate Ayrton Badovini was tenth, privateer Panigale rider Max Neukirchner (MR Racing) 14th.
Nurburgring - FIM Superbike World Championship - Qualifying 2
1. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'54.223
2. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'54.645
3. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'54.695
4. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'54.769
5. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'54.793
6. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'54.906
7. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'54.938
8. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'54.948
9. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'55.065
10. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1'55.093
11. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'55.142
12. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'55.416
13. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'55.890
14. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1'56.006
15. Matej Smrz (Yamaha Motor Deutschland) Yamaha YZF R1 1'56.230
16. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'56.344
17. Markus Reiterberger (Vanzon-Remeha-BMW) BMW S1000 RR 1'56.362
18. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1'56.451
19. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'57.482
20. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'58.409