Gimoto National Supermoto Championship 2008 round two

Published: 21 April 2008

Round two of the National Supermoto Championship was sponsored by Donna Dixon of Yorkshire Occupational Health Consultancy, and Saturday’s racing opened with fine weather.

Oliver Harrison and Jordan Holliday in the youth class let their experience really shine through, as they both give their best whilst chasing the win; Oliver’s two wins give him the best points whilst Jordan started the day with a win and from there was never far behind.

Lee Cunliffe mirrored round one with a full compliment of wins in the 250 championship, finishing with the overall win in the group in the final race ahead of the 450 riders. Simon Bentley had the first two second place finishes with Lee Rudd in third, but for the final Lee Rudd would bag the second place trophy leaving Simon with third place honours.

450 National Championships

Paul Plevin steadily moved up the finishing positions on Saturday to start his collection of trophies with first place in the 450 B Group, he was followed closely by Stuart Sharp who collected the second place finish in the final. The close racing came from the 250 riders moving through the pack.

In the A group James Addy secured two out of the three wins and collected the most points on Saturday, and while Andy Mitchell had started the day with a clear win he then had to settle for two second place finishes.

Shane Parkin had an excellent start to the weekend claiming the first two third place finishes, but slipped back to fifth spot in the final race. Richard Sharp had excellent track time with a third in the final setting him up for some really good racing in the Open Class on Sunday.

National Open Championship

The D group was the first group of solo riders out on Sunday morning and James Buchanan had an extremely convincing win in race one, but finished twelfth in the C final.

Keith Jackson and Steve Ellis were the first two C group riders to move up into the B group, leaving Ben Hallam and Rob Dickens on the front for the start of race two.

Ben used this to his advantage to take the second win in this group, and Richard Blackburn pulled back fifteen places to take second place.

Rob then led the final C group race with a good margin from Craig McNab securing the winning trophy.

In the first B Group John Millward and Phil Gee crossed the line jubilant after race one, leaving Chris Harrison the hole shot for the final race of the day, which he used to his advantage to come over the line for the win.

Brad Davey and Russell Plevin took second and third place, which meant third place trophies were going to both the Plevin brothers this weekend, while Kieran and Callum McGuigan both took trophies home for D group finishes.

Out in the A group Carl Shield had a very clear lead for first race of the day. In race two Shield was out in front again but James Addy was looking well in dirt section and continued to apply pressure throughout the race.

Andy Mitchell was chasing Scott Woodacre and took the third spot in lap two leaving Scott in front of Richard Sharpe in fifth with long lead from rest of the pack which was being led by Lee Cunliffe In the final race Carl Shield dominated once again, though James Addy almost snatched the win over the line.

Carl secured maximum points in round two of the championship to extend his lead, while James Addy would secure equal points with Andy Mitchell.