Makeshift HM Plant Honda Supersport rider Josh Brookes took pole for tomorrow's Fuchs-Silkolene British Supersport race at Brands Hatch this afternoon, setting a lap time of 47.127.
Brookes narrowly pipped MAP Embassy Triumph's Glen Richards to the line by 0.016, with Richards posting a best time of 47.143.
With four minutes left in the session, AIM Racing Yamaha's Steve Plater fell at Druids, but his earlier time of 47.190 was enough to place him third on the grid for tomorrow's 25 lap race.
Also suffering during the second qualifying session was Trucklinks Yamaha's Joe Dickinson who fell at Druids.
And James Westmoreland’s CBR600RR gave up due to a technical problem on the Cooper Straight meaning he ended the session in 14th position.
Westmoreland wasn't the only rider to fall foul of his motorcycle.
Tommy Bridewell, team-mate to Westmoreland in the Centurion Honda squad, endured techinical difficulties forcing him out of the session leaving him languishing in 17th position.
With 15 minutes left to go in the session, Brookes and Plater were swapping positions, until Paul Young wrestled his Triumph round into second on the grid.
That was until Richards stepped up with his 47.143 lap.
Fastest man from first qualifying Rob Frost was unable to repeat his efforts but still managed a 47.344 and a sixth place start for tomorrow's race.
Having decided not to go out in the first session, Raceways Yamaha rider Hudson Kennaugh put in a best lap of 47.444 which was enough to put him on the second row of the grid, in seventh.
1. Josh Brookes HM Plant Honda 47.127
2. Glen Richards MAP Embassy Racing Triumph 47.143
3. Steve Plater AIM Racing Yamaha 47.190
4. Daniel Cooper Centurion Racing Honda 47.324
5. Paul Young MAP Embassy Racing Triumph 47.327
6. Rob Frost Team Buff Triumph 47.344
7. Hudson Kennaugh Raceways Yamaha 47.444
8. Ian Lowry TAS Relentless Suzuki 47.475
9. Craig Fitzpatrick BLDS Couriers Yamaha 47.542
10. Chris Martin Gearlink Kawasaki 47.552
11. James Webb Padgetts Honda 47.553
12. Dean Hipwell Atherton Godfrey Solicitors Yamaha 47.566
13. BJ Toal Virgin Media Yamaha 47.603
14. James Westmoreland Centurion Racing Honda 47.662
15. Marty Nutt Nutt Travel Yamaha 47.662
16. John McGuiness Padgetts Honda 47.700