The MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship contenders returned to the track at Donington Park for an official test session before the series returns to the Leicestershire circuit for the round that will decide the six Title Fighters before the Showdown kicks off later in the year.
Fans flocked to the circuit to see the MCE BSB riders and teams on circuit and WFR Honda’s Alex Lowes set the pace following the five sessions, as he bids to claim his place in the top six as the championship now prepares to countdown to his home round of Cadwell Park.
Lowes said: “It was a good day for us, especially as the conditions improved this afternoon which meant we could continue working through some changes we wanted to make to the rear suspension with some new parts from K-Tech.
"The WFR Honda has been working well today and with our test last week at Cadwell Park and the one today we are happy that we have improved at both tracks which is important if we want to make the top six in the Showdown.”
Splitlath Redmond Racing’s Mark Aitchison, Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki’s Shane 'Shakey' Byrne and Samsung Honda’s Michael Laverty were also running in the 1m:30s lap times during the event as the times improved throughout the day.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, official test, Donington Park (times as supplied by teams)
1. Alex Lowes (WFR Honda) 1m:30.2s
2. Mark Aitchison (Splitlath Redmond Racing) 1m:30.6s
3. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 1m:30.7s
4. Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) 1m:30.8s
5. James Westmoreland (WFR Honda) 1m:31.0s
6. Peter Hickman (Buildbase BMW) 1m:31.3s
7. Danny Buchan (MSS Bathams Kawasaki) 1m:31.4s
8. Michael Rutter (MSS Bathams Kawasaki) 1m:31.48s
9. Alastair Seeley (Tyco Suzuki) 1m:31.691s
10. Chris Walker (Pr1mo Bournemouth Kawasaki) 1m:31.7s
11. Stuart Easton (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 1m:32.2s
12. Gary Mason (Pr1mo Bournemouth Kawasaki) 1m:32.3s
13. Jon Kirkham (Samsung Honda) 1m:32.5s