Billy McConnell stormed to his second win of the weekend after a brilliant battle with Supersport title rival Alistair Seeley. The Smiths Triumph rider fought his way through the field after an initially slow start before becoming embroiled in an intense battle with Seeley for the win. After numerous changes of the lead, McConnell made a decisive pass at the final corner of the final lap to secure victory and lead the championship standings by 13 points.
He said: “That’s two in a row! Alistair is a fair rider and we really went bar to bar in that one and the fact that we were fighting for victory makes it all the more special. Alastair got a slide out of the previous corner and he knew I was on the inside. I didn’t plan the move, I just went for it.”
Seeley was equally as enthusiastic about the thrilling race. His second position mean he now sits second in the standings.
The Mar-Train Yamaha rider said: “It was a typical Supersport race – bar to bar and banging fairings. Coming into the last corner I defended my line, but I didn’t want to go in too deep, run wide and lose the win that way. Billy showed me his front wheel, stuck his knee out and pushed me out of the way.”
Third place went to McConnell’s Smiths Triumph team-mate Graham Gowland who was able to match the pace of the leaders lap after lap, but was unable to mount a challenge for the lead.
Luke Stapleford secured fourth with former series leader Glen Irwin in fifth.
Motorpoint British Supersport Championship, Oulton Park, Feature race result:
1. Billy McConnell (Smiths Racing Triumph)
2. Alastair Seeley (Mar-Train Yamaha) +0.286s
3. Graeme Gowland (Smiths Racing Triumph) +0.427s
4. Luke Stapleford (Profile Racing Triumph) +9.017s
5. Glenn Irwin (Gearlink Kawasaki) +15.592
Motorpoint British Supersport Championship standings after Oulton Park:
1. Billy McConnell (Smiths Racing Triumph) 76
2. Alastair Seeley (Mar-Train Yamaha) 63
3. Graeme Gowland (Smiths Racing Triumph) 61
4. Luke Stapleford (Profile Racing Triumph) 52
5. Glenn Irwin (Gearlink Kawasaki) 50