Leon Haslam delivered a determined race two victory in the second outing at Cawell Park, holding off rivals Jason O'Halloran and Shane Byrne to take his first win since Knockhill.
O’Halloran had fired off the start line to lead the pack for the first time from Byrne and Haslam in close contention with the pair forcing him back to third in the early part of the lap, but the Nissan GT-R Safety Car was deployed when Howie Mainwaring and Fillip Backlund crashed out at Coppice, although both riders were able to walk away.
When the race resumed on the fourth lap Haslam instantly attacked arch rival Byrne, but the Be Wiser Ducati in true gritty style was straight back underneath him to retake the position. A lap later and Haslam again regained the lead and Byrne made a mistake which allowed O’Halloran to move back into second as the trio diced frantically at the front.
Haslam was on a charge and he continued to push at the front despite the pressure from O’Halloran and Byrne with the JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider saving his best until last to edge a two second gap over the final laps.
O’Halloran was fending off Byrne and despite a huge moment on the exit of Barn with three laps to go, he was able to keep the championship leader behind him to celebrate a double podium finish for the Honda Racing team.
JG Speedfit Kawasaki’s Peter Hickman pushed through the order to claim a strong fourth place at his home round after getting the better of Bennetts Suzuki’s Tommy Bridewell who again closed down on the top six with a fifth place.
Dan Linfoot bounced back from his race one crash to claim sixth place to maintain his position in the top six ahead of Oulton Park with Glenn Irwin again in the top ten on the second Be Wiser Ducati in seventh place, holding off James Ellison.
Luke Mossey and Jake Dixon completed the top ten with the focus now moving to Oulton Park on two weeks’ time for the Showdown decider.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Cadwell Park, race two result:
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki)
- Jason O'Halloran (Honda Racing) +2.191s
- Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) +2.688s
- Peter Hickman (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +5.812s
- Tommy Bridewell (Bennetts Suzuki) +7.108s
- Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) +7.260s
- Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +8.007s
- James Ellison (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +8.212s
- Luke Mossey (Quattro Plant Teccare Kawasaki) +8.689s
- Jake Dixon (Briggs Equipment BMW) +14.001s
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings after Cadwell Park:
- Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) 272
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 251
- Jason O'Halloran (Honda Racing) 211
- Michael Laverty (Tyco BMW) 147
- Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) 145
- James Ellison (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 140