Suzuki will have to self-fund MotoGP project in 2014

Published: 15 June 2013

Suzuki’s return to the MotoGP world championship is still not confirmed for next season, but what is certain is that the Japanese factory will have to finance its own two-rider works effort in 2014.

Dorna unveiled new entry guidelines and future financial support for teams during meetings at the Catalunya track near Barcelona yesterday (Friday).

And as was revealed by MCN earlier this week, any new entry for 2014 will receive no financial support from Dorna, no freight allowance and no free tyres from Bridgestone.

How the decision to offer zero financial support to Suzuki in its comeback year will impact on its decision to return to MotoGP remains to be seen.

Suzuki’s new 1000cc machine will make its European testing debut at Catalunya on Monday, but there has still been no official confirmation that it will return to premier class competition for the first time since 2011.

The new entry guidelines would also apply to Scott Redding’s Marc VDS Racing squad, which has been locked in talks about a move to MotoGP next season.

Dorna has put plans in place for a maximum of 28 bikes on the grid in the future.
The concern for the Spanish-based rights owners is that a rapid expansion of the grid reduces the money available to distribute in the paddock.

But a new financial support structure will come into force though for 2015 and will be based on performance next season.

The 24 current entries that all plan to remain on the grid next season will all continue to receive full payments, freight allowances and free tyres for 2014.
Entries placed between first and 22nd next season will receive full payments, a freight allowance and free tyres for 2015.

Entries placed in 23rd and 24th will no receive no payments but do get freight allowances and free tyres from Bridgestone for '15.

But entries placed 25th or lower will get no payments, freight allowance or free tyres.
Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta told MCN: “When Suzuki announced they were interested in returning to the championship we offered to the existing teams to sell their slot for a reasonable price but everybody wants to continue. We have now said that Suzuki has the possibility to enter without receiving money and we have in place the new structure for payments.

This will encourage people to reach a higher level of performance if the some teams risk not receiving money because of their results. The grid will be a maximum of 28 next year but I think most probably it will be 26.”

comments powered by Disqus